Question Beware using the windows update assistant to install 21h1 over 20h2, it breaks the OS.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I had this problem on a laptop the other week, and presumed it was just some random isolated occurrence, but my desktop has just done the exact same thing.

On both machines I clean installed Windows 10 20h2 from my flash drive into the ssd, as it's the only installation media I have, then once that's done I downloaded the windows update assistant tool in order to get the 21h1 update, it's important to note that it wasn't showing up in windows update so I went to get it using the assistant.

In both cases the update installs, and then once it restarts you get to the welcome screen there are no account names, just a user called 'other user' and any attempts to log in with the correct MS account details will fail, it just does not work, somehow updating in this manner screws the account credentials in some way.

So now I've put the old SSD with a still working install on back in (which I updated to 21h1 through windows update itself and there were no issues I might add) and i am downloading new installation media to the flash drive I mentioned so I can start again, I wish I'd just done that from the beginning.

So yeah, just be a little wary.

As I say I thought it was just an unlucky thing, but for it to happen on two separate machines that were updated in the exact same way makes me think there must be a problem on Microsofts end.

Ralston18

Titan
Another consideration is some issue with the installation media - corrupting files perhaps.

Also Windows Update Assistance Tool: source?

Not defending Microsoft - there could be other reasons.

This:

"i am downloading new installation media to the flash drive ".

If the problem reoccurs then try a different, known working flash drive.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
This is the update assistant I'm referring to.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ssistant-3550dfb2-a015-7765-12ea-fba2ac36fb3f

It's also important to note that I've used this same flash drive with the same 20h2 installation media on two other machines recently and then waited for Windows update to offer the 21h1 update, and all was well, it just seems to be when you run the assistant over an older version that the problem presents itself.