Question Beyerdynamics DT770

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
So I recently purchased a pair of 770s and upgraded from my HyperX Cloud II. The HyperX headset comes with this… 7.1 surround controller with mic and sound volume. My question is will I be able to connect my DT770 with a PL/3.5mm adapter to that controller for easier control of the volume, and if so, not lose any sound quality for it? I know the surround won’t work or have any effect but that’s not what I care about.
Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
The USB driven sound card that the HyperX mentioned above is built around the headset package that they bundle...i.e, the HyperX Cloud II headset, since the single jack caters to both mic and audio output;
hyperx_cloud_2_27.JPG

I wouldn't bother with the USB driven inline sound card since that merely provides a virtual surround sound experience. As for your headphones, you need a good quality sound card to get the best out of it, provided you don't like what you're hearing when off the onboard audio solution on your desktop/laptop(what have you).

Mind sharing a link to the headset you have? there are variants of the DT770, hence the question.

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
The USB driven sound card that the HyperX mentioned above is built around the headset package that they bundle...i.e, the HyperX Cloud II headset, since the single jack caters to both mic and audio output;
hyperx_cloud_2_27.JPG

I wouldn't bother with the USB driven inline sound card since that merely provides a virtual surround sound experience. As for your headphones, you need a good quality sound card to get the best out of it, provided you don't like what you're hearing when off the onboard audio solution on your desktop/laptop(what have you).

Mind sharing a link to the headset you have? there are variants of the DT770, hence the question.
I'm not asking because I want the surround sound, I'm asking because I want to have easy access to volume adjustments. My dt770 are 80 Ohm so I doubt an external sound card would make a huge difference (maybe 5%)

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
hyperx_cloud_2_27.JPG

Mine are 80 Ohms https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphone/dp/B0016MNAAI

I'm not asking because I want the surround sound, I'm asking because I want to have easy access to volume adjustments. My dt770 are 80 Ohm so I doubt an external sound card would make a huge difference (maybe 5%)

Only you can answer the question if you will be able to hear any difference in the sound. When the headphone comes in, try it using both methods. If you can tell the difference, pick what you like best. While there may be a technical difference if someone measured things with an instrument, that does not mean you will be able to distinguish one from the other with your ears and if you like one better or the other is totally up to you never mind any measurements.