Question Bezel-less phones - anyone using one?

So it's about time to refresh my phone, currently using a Oneplus 3, been very happy with it, with one exception. The way I hold it I frequently accidentally trigger the icons that are on the bottom of the right hand edge of the screen, just because of where my fingers sit whilst holding it, or I delete those icons by mistake. This is, in my opinion, because the 3 has a much smaller bezel than the oneplus 1 I had previously.

So in bezel-less designs is this managed in software, a dead patch around the edge of the screen? or is it still a problem that you just live with. Looking at probably a oneplus 7, although I'm not sold on the full screen idea, I like actual buttons, I think we're in an arms race that is less about usability and more about being a bit more of something than a competitor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't have any idea about newer phones, but the only way I can hold my S7 Edge without pressing things accidentally is by using a case. Admittedly its always in the case anyway so that was just a positive bonus. Sure, phone a lot thicker but i prefer it that way, dropped it twice and no scratches so far thanks to case.

I didn't really answer question :)

i don't have any idea about newer phones, but the only way I can hold my S7 Edge without pressing things accidentally is by using a case. Admittedly its always in the case anyway so that was just a positive bonus. Sure, phone a lot thicker but i prefer it that way, dropped it twice and no scratches so far thanks to case.

I didn't really answer question :)
A case is the route i'm thinking of going down if needed, it kind of confirms style over substance though, lets make something thin, shiny and with an interface that triggers accidentally that people need a case to make it usable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Galaxy S10 has accidental touch protection

Previously, this app was limited to Samsung Experience devices running Android Oreo or older. This meant the brand new Galaxy S10 couldn't take advantage, as it came with One UI running on top of Android Pie out of the box. But the most recent update, Edge Touch now supports One UI, meaning it works on the S10 and other Galaxy phones that have received the latest Android OS version.

Edge Touch can only be used on Samsung Galaxy devices. The app, which you can find on the Galaxy Store, let you set two zones: "Blocked Zone" and "Grip Zones." You use the "Blocked Zone" to prevent any accidental touches by instituting an area where touches won't register. The "Grip Zone" improves palm rejection by preventing touches only while gripping the phone.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/new...p-accidental-touches-your-galaxy-s10-0195622/

I don't know what the other brands might call their features

Reactions: 13thmonkey

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its form over function, its pointless to have glass edges that you have to turn off a portion of to make phone usable.. um, who designed this thing?

i have no idea what next is, I have had 3 galaxy phones in a row and if I had kept my pattern in place, would have got an S9 last year but as I had received a brand new S7 a few months before due to a warranty replacement, when I was due to update, I just didn't see point. My S7 does everything I use a phone for... music and messages.MIght still get one if price comes down more, but for now I don't need it.