Question bezel not properly glued to screen - Lenovo s540-14IWL

Nov 19, 2018
So I got a new laptop, a Lenovo s540-14IWL. Everything is great about it, other than the fact that the bezel is not glued properly to the screen at the right and left edges.
I had this problem on the original one I got and also on two replacements. I decided to keep the last one because the price was very good and I really like it. The other options were not nearly as good and as a programmer I need to have a computer all the time.

I was wondering if someone could offer a fix? Maybe it's just dry glue that needs to be reheated, maybe they just cheaped out on glue on this line?
I got 3 options:
  • Live with it.
  • Fix it myself (Any suggestions for a good method / glue?).
  • Send it to the lab under warranty as it's only a few weeks old (Problem is I saw their work on my cousin's laptop and it wasn't good).

Can it cause any further damage to the computer if I leave it like that? To the eye it's not as bad as it looks in the picture.

One important note: If I hold it with my hands it will glue back and look perfect for a few minutes (When it was days old it stayed glued for longer) until it goes back to its' original state.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post!
Here are some pictures:
When staring in front of the laptop:
Hz068OT.jpg

Right Side:
fsJTxwC.jpg

Left Side:
JEo27F5.jpg

After tightening it with my fingers for a few seconds:
luAVBPN.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
There's a saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Similarly, I've seen how technicians end up ruining the laptop to a point where the previous issue was bearable. The adhesive taping/backing seems to have given out due to poor quality on the adhesive, which explains why some added force helps it stick when you hold it for a while, only to fail a short while later when force is removed.

You've also mentioned that the issue with RMA is that they will return the laptop after a while. Also, you should be seeing a replacement, not a repair work on the laptop. If repair is the service offered, you should ask for a refund since you didn't pay for a half glued laptop. Speaking of half glued, yes it's possible that the bezel might give out over time and then the chassis/frame/hinges will also be affected.

Reactions: John553
Nov 19, 2018
There's a saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Similarly, I've seen how technicians end up ruining the laptop to a point where the previous issue was bearable. The adhesive taping/backing seems to have given out due to poor quality on the adhesive, which explains why some added force helps it stick when you hold it for a while, only to fail a short while later when force is removed.

You've also mentioned that the issue with RMA is that they will return the laptop after a while. Also, you should be seeing a replacement, not a repair work on the laptop. If repair is the service offered, you should ask for a refund since you didn't pay for a half glued laptop. Speaking of half glued, yes it's possible that the bezel might give out over time and then the chassis/frame/hinges will also be affected.
Thanks a lot for your reply!
You are completely right about getting a new one. what I meant was that they already gave me two new replacements (I'm on the third) and all of them had this problem. They offered to refund me, but there was no better (or close) replacement I could / can buy, so I to kept it.
The question is whether I sould live with that, fix it myself or let a certified lenovo lap to fix it under warranty (I saw a screen replacement job they did and was quite shocked of the poor workmanship, but it could have been a one extreme case - I don't know.
I might be wrong, but from this pic it looks like the hinges are located at the frame of the laptop rather than behind the bezel?
https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/2/d/csm_IdeaPad_S540_Intel_3_0576584172.jpg
What's weird is that the bad adhesion is limited only to the sides. In the middle it looks like it's glued quite well.

Thanks again!