Apr 15, 2019
Hey guys I just bought an Alienware m17 but am experiencing overheating issues when I play bf4. I have an i7 8750h and when I don’t limit the FPS the temperature can reach up to high 80’s and I even undervolted my cpu but am still getting high temps. Other games run around mid to high 70’s which isn’t bad for a laptop. Please help!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
There were reports that some alienware laptops were shipped with a bad batch of heatsinks. You can try to contact the manufacturer for a replacement at no cost. Or you can try placing your laptop on a cold grounded surface and check again for overheating symptoms, Good luck!

Apr 15, 2019
Yes but I had a dell technician come out and look at it and he said my heat sync looked fine. I mean I could always have them replace it and try but I don’t think that’s the issue

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the heatsink is fine, do you know what thermal paste they used? If it is junk, some quality paste might help some(Eg. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut). Just for comparison both my personal gaming laptop using a 8086k and my work laptop using a 7700HQ were reaching 90c under heavy loads.

I replaced the paste on the 7700HQ with liquid metal(Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) and got over a 20c drop in thermals, after delid on my 8086k it also dropped almost 20c.

If you are confident enough and understand the risk of using liquid metal, that is always an option. I toss my work laptop all over in my truck and have dropped it a few times, never had any issue with liquid metal spilling off the die and onto other components, yet anyway. I personally would never own a gaming laptop without using liquid metal though, I would rather lug my desktop with me around the Country.