[SOLVED] BF5 crashes on fullscreen, windowed mode works fine

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue in Battlefield 5 where after some time on the game (5-20 minutes), the game crashes. First the screen freezes, then the display turn black and after some time "no signal" appears on the screen (I need to shutdown the PC on power button). I noticed that at the beginning of the issue, if I press alt + enter, I'm back on the desktop with the game closed. The thing is I was able to play in windowed mode for more than 1 hour and all worked well.
In Event viewer I see the following: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." (event ID = 4101) at the time of the issue.

Processor - AMD Ryzen 3600
GPU - MSI Radeon rx 5700xt Mech OC
PSU - Corsair RM750x
Motherboard - MSI x570 A-pro
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB 3200MHz

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you read the release notes from AMD regarding the RX 5700 XT drivers, it does mention the games could crash, so it is a bug on the drivers.
You are not the only one having that issue.

Known Issues
"Some DirectX®11 API games may experience an application crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
Enabling feature for Radeon ReLive such as Instant Replay, Instant Gif or In-Game Replay may cause the display or UI to flicker or stutter.
A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark...
Dec 10, 2019
That could be your issue, but it could be something else.
By the way, they cannot test every game with every configuration out there. Specially when game updates are release after a GPU is released.

Regarding the testing I understand they won't test all the games there are. But they at least do intensive stress tests before it going to the market, right? But anyway, why the crash only happens when in fullscreen mode but not in windowed mode?

If you read the release notes from AMD regarding the RX 5700 XT drivers, it does mention the games could crash, so it is a bug on the drivers.

Known Issues
"Some DirectX®11 API games may experience an application crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
Enabling feature for Radeon ReLive such as Instant Replay, Instant Gif or In-Game Replay may cause the display or UI to flicker or stutter.
A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products."

Solution
Dec 10, 2019

Known Issues
A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products."

Yes, I saw those release notes. But the way they are written is a bit generic (don't mention the freeze, then black screen, then "no signal" message), so I thought I'm having other problem. What caused me more confusion is that the game works fine in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen.