BFG 6800GT Fan death

Peepsalot

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
One of the fans on my video card is making horrible noises. I need a replacement but not sure where I could find one. The card looks like this:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002IXGRY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The fan is attached to the heatsink at the bottom with a screw on each of its three legs, forming a sort of Y shape.
I don't care if the replacement fan is exactly the same and lights up with blue leds, as long as it fits in place and it runs.

Also, I'm not sure how I would remove that top metal plate in order to get to the fan wiring. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Peepsalot

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Well, I'm not the original purchaser, I got it used, and I think the warranty is up. I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
There are 4 "phillips head" screws attaching the backplate (rear of card) to the fan assembley which is located on the "front" of the card. You should be able to disassemble the HSF by backing out these 4 screws.

An aftermarket solution such as the Arctic Cooler Silencer NV5 should work well as a replacement HSF. They are fairly common and inexpensive.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316417

or this one:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373042

Good Luck - too good a card to waste!

Peepsalot

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I did try removing the four screws, but everything still felt very securely attached. I didn't want to break anything trying to pry it off. Do you have this card ejay?
If i got one of these VGA coolers, I would think the best thing would be to remove the chrome part, and keep the copper, but I'm not seeing how this is possible.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
I do have one of these cards and thankfully, I've never had any problems whatsoever, so I've never had to replace the HSF. But if my memory serves me correctly, the thermal pads that serve to conduct heat away from the gpu, do sort of "stick" the HSF to the chips. So I would imagine a measure of care would need to be exercised in "gently" removing the HSF. But I do know from reading various forums over the last several years, that many end-users have performed this task successfully. I did have to replace the HSF on an old GF 4200 and experienced the same problem. I gently inserted a flat head driver underneath the edge (while using a cotton cloth to insulate the screwdriver from the card components), and then exerted enough force to pry the HSF off. I was real apprehensive about doing this as I read about some cards having a thermal glue to attach the HSF. But apparently this card does not use glue but thermal pads instead.

Another issue is whether or not to use the thermal pads that come with the after-market HSF's, or use Artic Silver 5. Both seem to work, but I prefer the AS5, if you can get a good snug fit. Regardless you will need to clean off the chips with 92% alcohol before attaching your new HSF.

Gavman42

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
BFG has a LIFE TIME warrenty, just call them up tell em the fan broke and they'll send you a new one. I have the exact same card and my fan cracked in half a litle bit ago, I called them thur night at 8:30 got an RMA # sent it back friday and had my replacement card monday. BFG is very good about it, not sure if they'll take it after you rip it to shreds but at this point it can't hurt to try. also they dont care if your the original owner.

Rammgod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I had the same problem with my sons BFG 6800GT. 8O
I went shopping around for about 2 days on the net and the best solution I came up with is the:

VANTEC Iceberq CCB-A5C 60 x 60 x 12mm
Ball Bearing RAM Heatsink.

It is listed at newegg for 23.99 plus 4.99 for 3 day shipping (they usually get it to you in 2 days).

I installed this *make sure you remove the bottom film layer on the direct connection onto your GPU from the fan assembly!*. It has ALOT of copper on it so make sure your pci slot next to the AGP is not in use.

Other than that, it has lowered my vc from 56C at idle to 39C and never goes above 64C in use with the tower completed enclosed. 8)

Good luck!

kilogic

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
BFG has a LIFE TIME warrenty, just call them up tell em the fan broke and they'll send you a new one. I have the exact same card and my fan cracked in half a litle bit ago, I called them thur night at 8:30 got an RMA # sent it back friday and had my replacement card monday. BFG is very good about it, not sure if they'll take it after you rip it to shreds but at this point it can't hurt to try. also they dont care if your the original owner.
co-sign. I sent in your exact card no questions asked when my fan was making noise. Its not so bad.

Rammgod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
There are 4 "phillips head" screws attaching the backplate (rear of card) to the fan assembley which is located on the "front" of the card. You should be able to disassemble the HSF by backing out these 4 screws.

An aftermarket solution such as the Arctic Cooler Silencer NV5 should work well as a replacement HSF. They are fairly common and inexpensive.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316417

or this one:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373042

Good Luck - too good a card to waste!

This worked for my 9 year old sons computer...try it. :p