BFG 8800 GT stock fan failing

OmniDevil

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
So is there a known issue withthe fan on this card? It's only a year old and a couple days ago the fan started making a really loud ticking noise. I thought maybe something came loose and was hitting one of my exhaust fans on the case. I took the side panel off my case and found that it was the video card. Shut down the computer, disconnect the card. Removed the shroud and it seems the fan came loose (didn't know they could do that) and the fan was hitting the card itself, essentially snapping one of the blades. Any ideas? On another note, rather than "trying" to RMA this card back to BFG (they probably won't accept it since the fan broke itself) what's the easiest way to replace the fan, if at all possible?

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The easiest way to fix this problem is something like that:
PB190021.JPG

Moazzam

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
oh dear no problem. what we going to do is clean the dust in the card and the dust around fan.

i dont know weather you checked this or not, i want you to do it, please take out the card out from the casing with care. you must have all the cleaning equipment, not so complicated, items like a delicate brush, alcohol or zippo oil, coffee paper or tissue papper.

open the card carefully with the screw driver, careful with the fan wire connected on to the card. when you successfuly take off the card cooler, now clean it with a brush. the objective is clean the dust out, we need this because some times blower air is not reaching inside the cooler of the card.

ok after cleaning, fix all the screws, and make a card back to its shape. connect the fan cable back to the card, and then fit the card on motherboard.

check from the graph which is available in riva tuner software, while playing games, the fan speed and the temp or the card.

i hope it will solve the issue. or mail me at

moazzam_ali_khan2@yahoo.com

good luck

Those fan motors are not too powerful, I suspect the root problem was a manufacturing fault in the fan causing one of the blades to break off, thus damaging the fan motor.
A clear cut case from a RMA if it is in warranty.
If not both Zalman and Arctic Cooling produce aftermarket replacement coolers compatable with that card.

OmniDevil

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

I've already gone through all the necessary steps to clean it (something I do from time to time). The Fan speed is set to 100% (using RivaTuner). I used to have to set it at 75% because it seems that 100% speed was causing problems. The temp of the card has never been the issue. What the problem is is the fan appears to have come loose becuase it wobbles around. I was sure if there was a screw or something that can be adjusted to stop this from happening.