BFG Announces Liquid Cooled Nvidia GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I love that coolit is bringing the self contained thong to GPU's. Probably too expensive though. It would be nice if Coolit started selling the self contained water cooling unit as a standalone like they do with the Domino.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It's as good as the H50 or other basic cooling systems with liquid. I don't expect any better temps than stock with this, but at least the loud fans will be gone.

It's good for the high end watercooler because people will buy this and begin to look at real watercooling and it's benefits. They will migrate to high end watercooling, increasing the research, products, and availibility of high end water parts for people who already do real watercooling.

Interesting entry-level cooling.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]scooterlibby[/nom]I love that coolit is bringing the self contained thong to GPU's. [/citation]
self contained "thong"s are always a good thing. . .

sorry - couldn't resist!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
this is interesting but will cost a lot and is only going to be practical in a case like the CM Stacker with all those 120mm mounts on the side panel, and then, installation will be a HUGE pain.....

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]unlicensedhitman[/nom]How do you SLI if you have 2 radiators with the fan mount on your case?[/citation]

Heh, seriously. It seems like they should just sell a self-contained SLI unit with 2 vid cards and one radiator.

I like water cooling in concept only. The practicalities are just too much for me.

[citation][nom]scooterlibby[/nom]I love that coolit is bringing the self contained thong to GPU's. Probably too expensive though. It would be nice if Coolit started selling the self contained water cooling unit as a standalone like they do with the Domino.[/citation]

They do, albeit for the Radeon 4870 rather than NVIDIA cards.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Very cool concept, but I can see the people getting this; too much money and not enough intelligence to know there is something way better for the money, and they will botch up the install. There already is very little room in a PC case for these monster cards...having the ports at the back end is a bad idea...broken/cracked ports when 'shoving' them into a tight-fitting case...

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I am wondering why they couldn't create an external mounting system for CPU's and GPU's that would allow you to connect extensions to the internal sockets in the PC case and have these units installed in a refrigerating chamber outside the case itself - say in something cryogenic. This would keep you away from condensation issues in the PC case and all those moving parts and no real dry-sealing system.

dyson122

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Personally, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable premium (over the cost of GFX + water cooling) for a self contained, preassembled system such as this.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I have a Danger Den 4200 water cooling kit on my Opteron 185 and I gotta tell you, it isn't that hard once you do your research and know what you're doing. The trick is the T-line, patience, and having the right tools. But before that the trick is "doing your homework".

That said, in my opinion it isn't usually worth the investment since newer tech is both cheaper (due to manufacturing process shrinks), faster, and more energy efficient (also saving you money). New tech is also sometimes quieter. Today's cards can keep up with my OC'd 8800GTS. It runs hot and loud.

It so happens I won my water cooling at a LAN party, I would've rather used my $40 cooler from Zalman that does just about as good because the pump's a bit weak I think.

What they need to do is design cases with radiatiors integrated into the side panels and the top that are lightweight, and protected. Seal up the inside of the case so that you have no air leaks, and then pull cool, filtered air from the bottom front of the case using a single 140mm fanned PSU at the top rear. Since heat rises and you don't have any air blowing around inside, and if the GPU/CPU and ram are water cooled you shouldn't have any components overheating inside. One fan should be enough.

Dell has been putting single slow spinning small fans in cramped cases for years that cool both the CPU and the entire case. Utilize the same idea, but make it a lot better with the water cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.