Question BFV stuttering with GTX 1080. Any idea why?

aikorush

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
I have updated all my drivers and this is my results in BFV

4K resolution at lowest settings= low as between 40 to 67 FPS
One of my real concern is that i always get these mini stutters every now and then about a second or two long which gets kind of annoying since i play online
Now i do realize that GTX 1080 isnt that good in 4K so i turned down the resolution to 1440p and 1080p, the results are

Again 40 to 70 fps even with everything at low settings which is weird because i noticed that the drop to 40 fps does happen in particular maps too
I have seen benchmarks saying 1080 can go above as to 140 fps in 1080p and doesnt drop below 60 on BFV but it never got there for me for some reason
So I am guessing something is bottlenecking my card

Here are my specs

AMD Ryzen 1600 3.6Ghz
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB
Samsung Evo 512GB SSD
8GB of DDR4 RAM
Windows 10 Pro

I always play with all background tasks closed

One thing i did notice is my RAM usage goes upto 7GB while playing, but can the RAM really cause bottleneck issues like this? But then again there is still 1GB free RAM so meaning it wont have any problems. will it?

There is a pretty simple explanation, and it's not your GPU, per se, at least not at lower res.

The 8gb of system ram is holding you back. At 1080p in BF V it uses upwards of 9gbs! Having only 8gbs means you are having to use the swap/pagefile as a mem back up, and because it's on a HDD/SD it's much slower than system ram. It can cause major FPS drops and stuttering.

If it's a single DIMM as in 1 x 8gb, that is further gonna hamper your gaming experience. Add to that that if it's slower ram (2400mhz) you are gonna have a further decrease in potential performance.

You should have 2 x DIMMS for dual channel, which gives approx 10-20% more gaming performance. If you have fast ram, like 3000mhz+, which Ryzen 1.0 loves, then that will increase performance by another 10% or so.

edit: 8gbs used to be the sweetspot for comfortable gaming. That was 3 years ago. 16gbs is now the sweetspot for gaming, as nearly all AAA games will make use of. BF V is the perfect example. But BF 1/COD WW2, BO4 are all good examples too.

Edit 2: Your CPU is very decent. But it has lowish clocks. It's capable of being OC'ed. It will give more general performance, and will push a few more FPS from your GPU too. It;s worth considering OC that CPU.

Reactions: aikorush

aikorush

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
There is a pretty simple explanation, and it's not your GPU, per se, at least not at lower res.

The 8gb of system ram is holding you back. At 1080p in BF V it uses upwards of 9gbs! Having only 8gbs means you are having to use the swap/pagefile as a mem back up, and because it's on a HDD/SD it's much slower than system ram. It can cause major FPS drops and stuttering.

If it's a single DIMM as in 1 x 8gb, that is further gonna hamper your gaming experience. Add to that that if it's slower ram (2400mhz) you are gonna have a further decrease in potential performance.

You should have 2 x DIMMS for dual channel, which gives approx 10-20% more gaming performance. If you have fast ram, like 3000mhz+, which Ryzen 1.0 loves, then that will increase performance by another 10% or so.

edit: 8gbs used to be the sweetspot for comfortable gaming. That was 3 years ago. 16gbs is now the sweetspot for gaming, as nearly all AAA games will make use of. BF V is the perfect example. But BF 1/COD WW2, BO4 are all good examples too.

Edit 2: Your CPU is very decent. But it has lowish clocks. It's capable of being OC'ed. It will give more general performance, and will push a few more FPS from your GPU too. It;s worth considering OC that CPU.

Aah i see thank you for the information, i did suspect the RAM for a while but i had to make sure

And yea i do have a single DIMM 8GB RAM, i guess its time to buy another stick then! I will also try OCing my clock speeds

Thanks!