BG question...

Hi there...I am new to AD&D and wanted to buy a RPG for my PC to acquaint
myself with AD&D...is Baldur's Gate 2 the way to go? Are there any other
game recommendations anyone can give me?

Any advise would be gratefully received

--
Jono

In article <d3mqap$oli$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Jonathan Tant <jono@tanto.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
# Hi there...I am new to AD&D and wanted to buy a RPG for my PC to acquaint
# myself with AD&D...is Baldur's Gate 2 the way to go? Are there any other
# game recommendations anyone can give me?

Good idea, though you might spend so much time playing the game that you
don't ever get around to the pen&paper version.

Seriously: BG2 implements 2d edition rules. IWD2 and NWN are 3d edition.
So it depends which you're looking for.

S.

Steven Chung wrote:
> In article <d3mqap$oli$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> Jonathan Tant <jono@tanto.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> # Hi there...I am new to AD&D and wanted to buy a RPG for my PC to
acquaint
> # myself with AD&D...is Baldur's Gate 2 the way to go? Are there any
other
> # game recommendations anyone can give me?
>
> Good idea, though you might spend so much time playing the game that
you
> don't ever get around to the pen&paper version.
>
> Seriously: BG2 implements 2d edition rules. IWD2 and NWN are 3d
edition.
> So it depends which you're looking for.

Agreed. Any of these games will give you the basics of the rules (6
primary stats, classes, spell system), but the details are quite
different between the two versions. Also, BG2 is a great game, but it
will give you funny ideas about how D&D is supposed to be played. The
rules are mostly 2nd edition, but the game style is very different from
the way a pen and paper game goes.

MSH

Excellent guys, thanks...you've convinced me to check it out...the game
looks great and giving me the basics is what I am looking for...I am sure my
friends will slap me into shape if I get funny ideas in the written
version...thanks again

Jono
--

Jonathan Tant wrote:

> Excellent guys, thanks...you've convinced me to check it out...the game
> looks great and giving me the basics is what I am looking for...I am sure my
> friends will slap me into shape if I get funny ideas in the written
> version...thanks again

Look for the special edition called: Baldur's Gate II -The Collection,
which includes the original game along with both expansion packs,
Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Bhaal. Here in the States, it can be
found for as little as $15, which is a great bargain. I imagine you
can find a similar deal over there in the UK.

Jonathan Tant
Vision 2 Learn student
jono@tanto.wanadoo.co.uk
"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Jonathan Tant wrote:
> >
> > Excellent guys, thanks...you've convinced me to check it out...the game
> > looks great and giving me the basics is what I am looking for...I am
sure my
> > friends will slap me into shape if I get funny ideas in the written
> > version...thanks again
> >

> Look for the special edition called: Baldur's Gate II -The Collection,
> which includes the original game along with both expansion packs,
> Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Bhaal. Here in the States, it can be
> found for as little as $15, which is a great bargain. I imagine you
> can find a similar deal over there in the UK.

Thanks...I have seen a Collectors edition going pretty cheap on ebay...I'll
go and bid...