BGA478 & PGA478... Are they Inter-Changable???

Feb 28, 2018
So i have an ollldddd acer aspire 6930 with a BGA478 Intel core 2 duo T5800, and wanted to pump it up to a faster chip in the 8xxx or 9xxx, but they are PGA478 socket, are they interchangable or are they incompatable???

Solution

No, they are not. While there are individual users who have successfully replaced a BGA CPU, it requires some extremely advanced soldering skills. And you'd replace it with another BGA CPU, you can't swap to one with a pin grid array.

If you still really want to do this -- I'd recommend strongly against it -- there are a number of reballing tutorials on YouTube. I would definitely suggest practicing with a few broken laptops first before even trying this procedure on hardware you actually hope to use in the...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No, they are not. While there are individual users who have successfully replaced a BGA CPU, it requires some extremely advanced soldering skills. And you'd replace it with another BGA CPU, you can't swap to one with a pin grid array.

If you still really want to do this -- I'd recommend strongly against it -- there are a number of reballing tutorials on YouTube. I would definitely suggest practicing with a few broken laptops first before even trying this procedure on hardware you actually hope to use in the future.

Solution