Biased and Unbiased Benchmarking

agenthunk

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
I have tried Userbench and did not like how my gpu score was 49% and cpu and ram were at battleship or Battlecruiser.
Novabench does not have a 1-100 listing of rank.1st through 100.

And 3DMark has 4 year old cpu's and gpu's beating my Brand new Ryzen and RX580.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27906603

ROG Strix GL702ZC

This is unacceptable.

I do not bother with Gamedebate or other's out there since they are biased for fanboy's.

The only one I seem to like is Cinebench....

Solution

I'm 100% right. The desktop GTX 1060 6gb is about equal to a GTX 980. A laptop one is not going to beat a desktop GTX 980. Yes you have desktop grade parts in that laptop, but they are still clock and thermal limited or they would overheat in that system. I think your expectations are far too high.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What, specifically are you trying to address here?

What are you comparing it against directly? 4 year old CPUs could be anything up to (and including) a i7-5960X and GPUs in the ~GTX 980 range.

If you're comparing vs desktops, then of course you're going to fall behind even some older chips. Overclocking, cooling etc will all favour desktops, despite the age.

If you're comparing vs laptops though, something is off.

FWIW:
Module 1 16,384 MB Samsung DDR4 @ 2,394 MHz

Single channel, 2400MHz is going to be hurting your performance.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4080375

A ~4000 (10% gains) score, simply by having dual channel.

agenthunk

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

I know about the dual channel.you don't have to painfully remind me.I just don't have the money atm to buy one more samsung DDR4 16GB stick...it cost me 1682.00 total for backpack and laptop.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Its a laptop, everything is lower clocked, you have single channel memory thats only 2400mhz. ASUS kinda screwed the pooch on you there as that make sa big difference in performance. As for your GPU comparing to a 4 year old one, don't forget the RX 580 is an evolution of the RX 480 which is 3 years old on its own. Performance wise its about equal to a GTX 980 which is 4 years old. Heck current GTX cards are really about 2 years old. And the Ryzen CPU has been known to have similar IPC to 4th gen Intel processors, and on top of it you're running in a lower power mode as its a laptop.

If you want better scores the first thing you need to do is pop out that memory and get 2 8gb dimms of 3200mhz ram. Then go from there.

agenthunk

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Yeah,guys true,but I have a Desktop Grade CPU and GPU equivalent so,I would expect it to beat even desktops as well years later...you both may be right when it comes to GPU's like the R9 fury or something rare like the titan x...but GTX 980 is lower than those.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I'm 100% right. The desktop GTX 1060 6gb is about equal to a GTX 980. A laptop one is not going to beat a desktop GTX 980. Yes you have desktop grade parts in that laptop, but they are still clock and thermal limited or they would overheat in that system. I think your expectations are far too high.

Solution