Big big big problem after installing low profile 7750

ComputerNoob333

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I installed the graphics card easily. It was a perfect fit.

I tried to boot up from the graphics card and the monitor couldn't read it but it would still boot up. So I thought okay I had to DL the drivers so when I went back to my on board graphics all I get is the Dell splash screen and it freezes. What the heck is going on?

Please don't tell me it's the PSU. EVERYONE I talked too told me this would work on the Dell 660 Slim PSU.

ComputerNoob333

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I have no idea. I'm not computer savvy, all I know is that I was told by Dell it's a 220W PSU, and everyone I talked too on different forums told me it would work just fine with that PSU. Even the reviews on Newegg said the same thing.

mace200200

Honorable
220w? thats your problem, I've researched this before for my brothers slim PC. The 7750 will pull around 55w, your system is definatlly pulling to much power for it. I put a 5450 in his PC, it pulls a whole 8w at load.

ComputerNoob333

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Are you positive Mace? The computer starts up but it freezes at the startup screen. It doesn't not boot up at all.

I'm just in disbelief how I was misled by soooo many people. What would you recommend I do Mace? Should I return it?

mace200200

Honorable
I can tell you from experience this is the case. You ask questions in the wrong place (like YouTube comments) someone thinks they know what they're talking about and are wrong, so then everyone agrees with them because they also believe they learned something new. I like to watch benchmarks and some of the advice from YouTube is just so far out there it's unbelievable. You could buy a new power supply for your system, I've looked into then before and there's some good ones out there but they will cost at least $50. Remember not just any PSU will work it has to be a slimline kind. Ill try to post a link to one for you.

mace200200

Honorable
I'm on my phone so the mobile link probably won't work for you, go to newegg.com and search SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W, it's $40 now and Seasonic is an excellent brand. I run a Seasonic in my rig, fantastic unit.

ComputerNoob333

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks M. I bought it. Now here's the thing though, I went inside the PC to perhaps tighten it up and I got a signal this time. All I get is a black screen but I can move and mouse and everything.

Is there even a slight possibility that it isn't the PSU?

ComputerNoob333

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Alright, thanks again Mace. One more question, with the Seasonic 300W PSU you recommended will my PC have no problems running the 7750?

I'm asking this because I just dropped $40 on it and going to drop another $100 just to get the damn thing installed so I want to be sure.