[SOLVED] Big difference

Solution
Do you think switching to one of the new intel processors would give a boost
Not likely as 5600's...5000 series actually....have the IPC lead right now. But 3000/5000/or Intel 10th gen are all so close neither has a 'huge' advantage.

But as @Djoza suggests, overclocking is an option. I'd only overclock the 3700 using PBO and get the best cooling for your system and CPU you can squeeze in. Keeping Ryzen cool is nearly the same as overclocking as it's boosting is so temperature sensitive; you want to keep temps below the mid-70's when gaming. Your GPU can heat it up if using an air cooler so don't ignore case fans.

Also, check your memory. Ryzen loves fast memory but poorly overclocked memory has high latency: tweak...

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
5600X is more than enough for you.
But i gotta ask,why are you unsatisfied with the performance of the 3700X?
What motherboard do you have,that is the most important part for a cpu upgrade.
The games I play are very cpu intensive like escape from tarkov and Warzone so I want better FPS and I have Msi b550 a pro mobo

Well ill put it this way.
If you can afford the 5800X go for it,8 cores 16 threads is more than enough for streaming/gaming,but if you cant afford it, 5600X is going to perform similarly in gaming and wont dissapoint you.
What NZXT cooler and case do you have?
5000 series cpu's tend to run hotter even when not overclocked than the older generations,so you need to make sure you have the right fan configuration,alongside a good cpu cooler ofcourse.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Well ill put it this way.
If you can afford the 5800X go for it,8 cores 16 threads is more than enough for streaming/gaming,but if you cant afford it, 5600X is going to perform similarly in gaming and wont dissapoint you.
What NZXT cooler and case do you have?
5000 series cpu's tend to run hotter even when not overclocked than the older generations,so you need to make sure you have the right fan configuration,alongside a good cpu cooler ofcourse.
Nzxt h510 Elite case and kraken x63 cooler

Would I see a huge difference going from a 3700x to a 5800x?
You might see a slight difference but no, you won't see a "huge" difference in any useage scenario. With gaming really only a slight difference, and even then only when gaming at low resolution/hi refresh tournament style games where extreme FPS is an advantage. Even then whether or not it's noticeable depends on how discerning you are.

Gaming in most triple-A games at high resolution (1440p and up), with settings on high, it's your GPU that will be the limiter and a 5800X won't help in any noticeable way.

5800X, though, makes a bad value proposition as the 5600X is as good in gaming and the 5900X is much better for multi-threaded applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany
Do you think switching to one of the new intel processors would give a boost
Not likely as 5600's...5000 series actually....have the IPC lead right now. But 3000/5000/or Intel 10th gen are all so close neither has a 'huge' advantage.

But as @Djoza suggests, overclocking is an option. I'd only overclock the 3700 using PBO and get the best cooling for your system and CPU you can squeeze in. Keeping Ryzen cool is nearly the same as overclocking as it's boosting is so temperature sensitive; you want to keep temps below the mid-70's when gaming. Your GPU can heat it up if using an air cooler so don't ignore case fans.

Also, check your memory. Ryzen loves fast memory but poorly overclocked memory has high latency: tweak timings down and do not de-sync the IF.

Last edited:
Solution
Another suggestion since you seem to be focused on FPS and have an 8 core/16 thread CPU...

You might try disabling SMT...AMD's term for hyperthreading...in your BIOS for your games. The idea is disabling SMT will keep the CPU from warming up as much in the heat of gaming so it will stay boosting to higher clocks as it's needed.

That cuts the CPU to 8 physical threads but it might be quite enough and many games don't really like virtual threads anyway. So test it out and see if it helps with FPS in heavy gaming action.