Question Big FPS drops in games lately

kagoks

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

In the last few months, I started getting fps drop on my PC, which cause game to stutter. Very annoying.
Recently, I started getting much worst.
I'm talking games that are not too intensive like League Of Legends and Rocket League.

Here's my current build

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T
MB : Asus M5A97
Graphics : GTX 780
12 GB of RAM (2x 4GB + 2x 2GB)
OCZ 650W PSU
3 SSD + 2HD

I know my CPU is getting very old, but I had no problems playing thoses games at 90+ fps before.
Now I keep getting drop in the 30's and low 20's FPS.

Did any one experienced something like this ?

Thanks !

kagoks

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I did monitor them with Speedfan last night, and they are running at very low temp. Even in game they both stay between 45 and 50°C.
I did more testing, and even changing graphics setting in game to Very Low didn't improve performances.

WildCard999

Titan
I did monitor them with Speedfan last night, and they are running at very low temp. Even in game they both stay between 45 and 50°C.
I did more testing, and even changing graphics setting in game to Very Low didn't improve performances.
Unless it's cold where you are I don't think those temps are right, especially for the GPU. Try HWmonitor, in the column to the right it will keep record of the max temp. Go into the game and play a round or at least until you have those FPS dips and let me know what the max is for both the CPU & GPU.

What has changed??

Have you done any windows maintenance?
Perhaps a non optimized driver was installed.

Perhaps malware or a virus?

Is there dust buildup in your pc?
Stuttering is usually caused by lack of cpu capability.
If your cpu is overheating, the multiplier will drop.

kagoks

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I can't remember having changed anything.

I just played a game with HWMonitor open. Max CPU temp is 52°C , and max GPU temp is 50°C

Edit : Using FurMark I can quickly get my GPU over 60°C and my CPU in the high 50's °C
I feel like my components almost stay "idle" when I'm gaming, as in they don't want to use more power.

Last edited: