[SOLVED] Big FPS drops only during certain tasks.

Jan 29, 2020
In my play sessions of Resident Evil 2 remake I get 60 FPS the vast majority of the time running the game at 4k with many of the settings set to max. But not everything is perfect or I wouldn't be making this post. The second I pick up any item or I open my inventory the game freezes for a millisecond and tanks my FPS to the thirties. It makes the game unplayable for me.

This problem isn't exclusive to RE2. In Rage 2 as well opening and navigating the menus tanks my FPS. More so when I quickly change tabs. Outside of menus Rage 2 plays at a locked 60 with everything on Ultra when I run it at 1800p.

Is this normal behavior? Any advice on this? I'm using an RTX 2080 Super with an I7-9700k Intel CPU in my iBuyPower PC.

Solution
Might be an issue with your HDD

Since its a prebuilt pc from iBuyPower, contact them for help and dont mess around with it yourself IF it still has warranty.

If the hdd is fine, i would check for possible Bitcoin miners, as they can make your fps dip.
To check for bitcoinminers close everything and open task manager and see cpu/gpu usage and check what program is causing it and then delete it if something like that is found.
Might be an issue with your HDD

Since its a prebuilt pc from iBuyPower, contact them for help and dont mess around with it yourself IF it still has warranty.

If the hdd is fine, i would check for possible Bitcoin miners, as they can make your fps dip.
To check for bitcoinminers close everything and open task manager and see cpu/gpu usage and check what program is causing it and then delete it if something like that is found.

Solution