[SOLVED] big FPS drops with new GPU

Aug 4, 2019
I just bought an msi 2060 super gaming x and tested it in a few games. I noticed that in some games (like The Crew 2) everything was normal (full 60fps without any drops) but with some others (Star Wars Battlefront 2, Cs:Go,Metro Exodus), I often have big freezes. The weird thing is that i enabled the fps counter and it doesn't show these big drops, that can sometimes last 1 or 2 seconds. I don't know where that comes from, i'm thinking of maybe the motherboard (Yes i should have bought a z270) or the RAM, that I should upgrade to 16go.

Here is my configuration:
CPU: I7 7700k (with a big fat cooler)
RAM: 8go of corsair vengeance 2400 MHz
Motherboard: gigabyte h270 gaming 3
1to hdd
500go ssd
GPU: msi 2060 super gaming x
PSU: a no-name 650w

Sorry for any english mistakes

Last edited:
Solution
I think i'm going to buy a corsair cx750m
A good quality 650W should be more than enough, but 750 gives future expandability.

The CXM is decent enough (assuming it's the later model), it's probably the most cost friendly PSU that's still good enough to recommend, but there are better, and the price pays off for their warranty term - just food for thought:

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.89 @ OutletPC)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.89 @ Amazon)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
i'm thinking of maybe the motherboard
From my experience I wouldn't put those kind of freezes straight down to a lesser motherboard. Possible yes, just I'd usually see other items being the cause first.

or the RAM, that I should upgrade to 16go.
16GB is the way to go for modern gaming, an easy way to tell would be to use MSI Afterburner to monitor component usage on an overlay in game, if you see your RAM usage constantly around 7000 / 7500MB, then your RAM is probably slowing you down.
PSU: a no-name 650w
Poor quality PSUs can also cause the issue you are describing, and a no-name is a huge red flag. Regardless if you've just upgraded to a 2060 Super, you'd probably wan't to prevent any risk to your components anyway.

Aug 4, 2019
Thanks for your answer,
anyway i was going to upgrade all of these but i just wanted to know which one was the one to upgrade first.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
A good quality 650W should be more than enough, but 750 gives future expandability.

The CXM is decent enough (assuming it's the later model), it's probably the most cost friendly PSU that's still good enough to recommend, but there are better, and the price pays off for their warranty term - just food for thought:

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.89 @ OutletPC)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.89 @ Amazon)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
10 YEAR WARRANTY

The additional cost more than pays for itself in longetvity and quality IMO.

Solution