Joet00

Prominent
Feb 18, 2019
Recently I tried to add more ram to my pc, going from 2x8 go to 4x8gb. But when I added the new ram the pc would power on but no picture would be displayed and the red memOK light came on. I pressed the button to do a memory check but the computer remained dysfunctional. I took the two new sticks out and the computer worked fine. So, two sticks in slots A1 and A2 work, two sticks in b1 and b2 do not work, and one stick in either b1 or b2 do not work. Both sets of ram are the same model and have the same serial number. I tried looking in the bios for an option to enable the b1 and b2 DIMM slots but i could not find any option for that. I cleared my CMOS but that did not work. I updated my BIOS to the latest version but the computer would still not boot properly with any ram in the b slots. In fact the computer now boot loops with any ram in the b slots. I looked on the ASUS support website and they have a list of verified ram for the motherboard, and the exact serial number of my ram is not on the list. But my computer seems to be compatible with just two sticks of the ram. Can anyone help?

Links to ASUS z87-a qualified vendors lists:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...564.871443239.1550554497-257085107.1550554497

Windows 10 64bit
Asus z87-a motherboard
Processor: intel core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.4GHz, 3401 MHz, 4 cores, 4 logical processors
Bios: American mega trends Inc 2103
Ram: ddr3 Corsair vengeance pro series 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (2x8gb) CMY16GX3M2A1600C9
graphics: GeForce gtx 660

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
take the first two original sticks and put them into A1 and B1 so that they run dual channel and connect to each other.

Then take the two new sticks and put them into A2 and B2.

Just so you know, if you have more than one stick of RAM (such as two sticks) you need to put one in each channel for dual channel to work and it is always best to run dual channel.

Channels are lettered, and some boards support more than one set in a channel hence the numbers. And in your case, you have two slots per channel, allowing you to have two sets of RAM each running in dual channel and this way also the board will support higher amounts of memory capacity.

But yeah, you need to run the first kit in dual channel with A1 and B1, and put the new sticks into A2 and B2.

Reactions: Joet00
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you choose to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. You have memory that has never been tested together before. You can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Exact match, same thing, identical may raise your chances of having memory that works together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Once you start adding extra memory, often you'll find the memory is no longer able to operate at rated specifications.

Joet00

Prominent
Feb 18, 2019
take the first two original sticks and put them into A1 and B1 so that they run dual channel and connect to each other.

Then take the two new sticks and put them into A2 and B2.

Just so you know, if you have more than one stick of RAM (such as two sticks) you need to put one in each channel for dual channel to work and it is always best to run dual channel.

Channels are lettered, and some boards support more than one set in a channel hence the numbers. And in your case, you have two slots per channel, allowing you to have two sets of RAM each running in dual channel and this way also the board will support higher amounts of memory capacity.

But yeah, you need to run the first kit in dual channel with A1 and B1, and put the new sticks into A2 and B2.
I put the original sticks in a1 and b1 and started it up but it boot looped, then I put them in a2 and b2 as well and started it up but it still boot looped. Then I placed the ram in only a2 and b2 but it still boot looped

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Try using a single stick in each ram slot with booting in each to test the slots and that particular stick.

If it works with a single stick in all slots, then there is nothing wrong with the slots and you can continue to test each stick individually on a single slot to see which sticks are bad.

If it works in some slots but not others, that would mean a bad slot.

If the stick doesn't work at all, that stick might be bad and you need to test a different stick.

Should do this to test all slots and all sticks.

Also, when doing anything inside of your PC, you should always shut down, then flip the switch on the PSU to off, then press and hold the power button on case for 10 seconds to drain residual energy then you can unplug and plug things into the motherboard without possibly causing a short of some kind.

This is especially important for RAM as it's very sensitive to getting shorted when you don't do this before hand.

Reactions: steamlandon454