Childermass

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hello there!

Need advice. In short: I'm building my own rig and missing a mobo.

What I've already picked:

CPU: Core2 DUO E6600 2.4Ghz
Mem: 2Gb DDR2 800+ MHz 4-4-3-5
GPU: Geforce 8800

What not:
Motherboard: ? -- I'm interested in Intel chipset only: 965, maybe 975x
Power supply: ? -- I currently own a 350W unit I guess I need a more powerful baby? Not to mention the pin connectors...

Intended use:
+as for OS: XP for the time being, later Vista
+gaming
+graphical (design) works
+everyday use (huhh :wink: )

Budget:
Not really concerned about it - I plan for long term and quality is absolute top priority.

Important! OCing, SLI are *NOT* required!

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Well, given that the only requirement here is an Intel chipset, it seems pretty much any Intel-based board would suit your needs. So I'll list a few of the most popular.

Gigabyte DS3: Intel 965 chipset, newer than the 975x. 965 uses ICH8 southbridge, as opposed to 975x's ICH7.

Asus P5B Deluxe: Also 965. Solid board, got everything you need. Better onboard RAID than the P5W, which does some wonky stuff with 4 drive RAIDs.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe: Somewhat expensive because it's a 975x board and comes with tons of stuff like integrated Wi-Fi and a remote control. It also has something called EZ-Backup, and although I haven't looked into the subject, I doubt it's anything to write home about.

Intel Bad Axe 2: Also 975x. Intel boards are known for their reliability, but I'd say all the above 965 boards are just as reliable.

You really can't go wrong with the P5B, I guess. Or the DS3. I don't see the point of paying extra for a 975x based board, unless you take a really keen fancy to the prospect of a motherboard with a remote control, in which case the P5W should satisfy.

Childermass

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hello there,

first off, thank you all guys! I appreciate your kind help.

Currently I have these boards on my mind (in that order):

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 rev. 2 // rev. 3.3
ASUS P5B Deluxe
and possibly Biostar TF 965P

I shall see. GA-DQ6 seems a bit upmarket - that's why I could most probably do well with the "little" brother DS4 which definetely looks very appealing to me. As for ASUS, my only complaint is the lack of the parallel port - my printer needs one, unfortunately. And Biostar is just a steal for its price/performance. Lacks some feature though.

Is there any method to "circumvent" this LPT1 flaw somehow or P5BDLX has been just dropped out of the pack? Apart from, of course, buying a new WiFi/USB printer. (That may come in time but not now.) :?:

PSU. I decided for Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU. Quiet, beefy, modular, nice looking. Period. (And provides a fast way to trim your budget... :wink: )

Oh yes, one more thing. Guess what, video matters. :lol:
What do you think guys, is it worth waiting for ATIR600/X2800 or just stick with GF8800? If not else for but the possible price dropping in other segments of the GPU market perhaps?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
There will, naturally, be better selection when the R600 and 89xx series come out. But really, if you're building a new system now, I don't think it's worth it to wait on the graphics card until then. Something like the 8800GTS 320mb or 640mb is a good card now, and will still be a good card when the rest come out. Sure, maybe it or its equivalent will be a few bucks cheaper then, but that's how computers work.