Big Problem Communications Ports

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Well this proves I don't know everything. I have a big problem with my USB ports, Com port not being installed as Com1 ends up as Com5, PS/2 ports not detecting devices. Seems like this all went down in a matter of a week. I started out with duel booting with a program called bootit NG and I reinstalled Windows 2k pro on my other partition and it took over the boot up process. I had to modify the boot.sys on the C drive to only list one windows 2k. Anyway my drivers for my USB seemed to be uninstalled under windows 98. So everytime I put a usb device in the usb port it would install USB compliant device. I checked the usb device on a different computer and it works fine. I'm suspecting its either the OS or the motherboard that is having problems with my communications ports. If anyone else has had this problem and knows the fix for it I'd appretiate the help. Thanks,

Dantin

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
put in a plain (not necessarily new) hard disk into the machine and do a clean format/install of windows. if all goes well, theres a problem with the new settings you did to get your boot program working.

this is the safest way to check it without disturbing your existing installation.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>