-the core is bigger (more cash)
-no need to overclock
-cpu doesnt choke that much

vs

SMALLER CACHE PROCESSOR- L2 256kb
-less room to work with
-core is smaller (less cash)
-overclockable
-cpu can choke some times ( bottle neck )

ok just say "small" or "big"

!!!WELL I SAY BIG CACHE ALL THE WAY!!!

G

I wouldn't buy into the hype if I were you. A P4 with 512KB cache (I'm assuming it's on-die and same as clock speed) isn't necessarily the latest gift from God. Consider everything, not just the size of the cache. It's ability to process instructions relevant to your applications of preference should be on the top of your list. I'm going to say my vote is AMD (for me) because that's what I need.

Charles

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Cache is not nor ever has it been everything. The thunderbird has a smaller cache than the athlon classic and is decidedly a better chip. It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it. I feel odd voting for one or the other, but I'd never buy the p4 at least not any time soon (next year or so), so I guess that puts me down for AMD.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got AMD 1100 so I guess that puts me into one of those categories by default:)

Bigger cache is good, but not everything... besides, if you really wanna huge cache go back to Pentium Pro, you can get megabytes of cache in that one :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cache is a GREAT boost for a crappy processor. I remember the difference between my 486 desktop and server (with 64K on the desktop and 512K on the server). The server played solitair nearly twice as fast!

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which is faster a T-Bird with its little 256KB of cache or a PII Xeon with a big 2MB of cache? The PII Xeon with 8x the cache is no match for the superior design of the T-Bird. More cache is good, but it isn't everything.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is a pretty pointless thread, its an attempt to revisit the age-old conversation, only with skewed presumptions...
I'm outta here:)
Ciao,

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're into buying something, grab a Thunderbird.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is this a wote for Athlon against P4 that hiden behind misleading and not wery correct words ? If it so i wote for Athlon .
And somebody here must check the facts instead of blindly beliving comersials from TV.

garia666

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats why i like Computers so much...
It isnt the size that counts but how u use it..

Just like real life... LOL
reply to message of ( jg38141 )

Sorry for the interuption

G

Does anybody knw what good 'ol Tom has to say on this? Now, I'm a big AMD fan, as I just replaced my dual celerons with a T-bird. However, the overclocked T-bird still didn't beat out the P4. Tom just had a review up on it (read Ahlon v/s P4. I'd say that if money means absolutely nothing to you whatsoever and you can afford the P4, go fer it. Or you can just wait for AMD to counter it (which shouldn't be long).