[SOLVED] Biggest crt monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaneTheClutcher

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
What's the biggest crt monitor with a 4: 3 aspect ratio?
I need it for raspberry pi to play retro games
If anyone can tell me I'd be grateful :)

Solution
Look on sites like eBay or Craigslist, I don't think there is a single factory making new ones so what you can get is what you can find that is working. Probably in the 20, 21" range. I have a few larger ones in my basement, will need to see what their size is, both are probably as high end as the CRTs came in, Sony Trinitron and the other and NEC both with flat fronts.
Look on sites like eBay or Craigslist, I don't think there is a single factory making new ones so what you can get is what you can find that is working. Probably in the 20, 21" range. I have a few larger ones in my basement, will need to see what their size is, both are probably as high end as the CRTs came in, Sony Trinitron and the other and NEC both with flat fronts.

Solution
Look around on craigslist and fb marketplace. Local is best bet as CRTs are heavy, expensive to ship, and can be easily damaged in shipping. Large CRT monitors are sort of rare. As for a model, any Sony Trinitron as they are widely praised.

If you want large large, look for a CRT TV with a composite input. If you dont want composite, you can add VGA if you like, but that's a project in itself.

FaneTheClutcher

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
Look around on craigslist and fb marketplace. Local is best bet as CRTs are heavy, expensive to ship, and can be easily damaged in shipping. Large CRT monitors are sort of rare. As for a model, any Sony Trinitron as they are widely praised.

If you want large large, look for a CRT TV with a composite input. If you dont want composite, you can add VGA if you like, but that's a project in itself.
The largest I've managed to find in my country is 21 inches.
That's pretty much enough size to play retro games.
It is a monitor of Daewoo Crystal 21HQ.

The only problem is that the price is high and that is 320 euros

What's the biggest crt monitor with a 4: 3 aspect ratio?
I need it for raspberry pi to play retro games
If anyone can tell me I'd be grateful :)
Sony at one time produced a 40" Trinitron tube. Weighed somewhat over 300 pounds if memory serves. However, they haven't produced CRT's for years.

CRT's are much better than new monitors.
While at one time (10 or more years ago) that might have been true, it's not even close to true today.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Uhh, yes, they do, they have to follow the laws of physics just like everything else.
They have near 0 response time in the sense that as the display refreshes the phosphers update/light up almost instantly as they're scanned by the electron gun. Whereas a pixel in an LCD display takes some small amount of time to change after the new signal is applied to it.

As an aside, having '0' response time is not the same thing as having 0 input lag.

FaneTheClutcher

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
They have near 0 response time in the sense that as the display refreshes the phosphers update/light up almost instantly as they're scanned by the electron gun. Whereas a pixel in an LCD display takes some small amount of time to change after the new signal is applied to it.

As an aside, having '0' response time is not the same thing as having 0 input lag.
i can make raspberry pie to emulate with 1 frame response time :)

CRT's are much better than new monitors.

There are very very very few times a CRT would be better. Really the only thing is that they did work with different resolutions better than LCD screens without making the image fuzzy. Unless your goal is to use one to heat a room or give the electric company more money or take up 1/4 of your room, newer displays are better in every way.

You may be able to find some older HD TVs in the 30" or larger size also that will probably be cheaper than CRT monitors. A lot of people give them away free, but that is in the US. My first HD set was a Sony tube TV that I think was maybe 30", had a great quality image. I don't think it was a 1080, pretty sure it was a 720 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.