Bill Gates Backs Microsoft's Surface Tablet Solo Venture

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I am sorry but I do not want to play pc games on a 10" screen with a touch screen. I want to play pc games on a desk either with a mouse and keyboard or a game pad. If this is true i will miss the desktop pc.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
yes partly true, depending on the demographic. Lets not forget a bulk of hardware sales comes from PC gaming. Unless the future of gaming is holograms and virtual reality then maybe.

[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]I am sorry but I do not want to play pc games on a 10" screen with a touch screen. I want to play pc games on a desk either with a mouse and keyboard or a game pad. If this is true i will miss the desktop pc.[/citation]

I agree with you 110%. however, the average consumer seem to want gaming to move to "specialized" consoles. desktop PCs is going down the road of becoming a specialty item for geeks/designers/developers

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]I am sorry but I do not want to play pc games on a 10" screen with a touch screen. I want to play pc games on a desk either with a mouse and keyboard or a game pad. If this is true i will miss the desktop pc.[/citation]
It's extremely unlikely there will ever be a tablet with a GPU powerful enough to satisfy an enthusiast PC gamer. However, given the plethora of console ports that don't demand much from the hardware (aside from their inefficiencies), it's entirely possible that we'll see future tablets running games that really are comparable to consoles.

As far as the 10" screen and no mouse, that's what output ports are for.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

unless a tablet that can stream via cloud to bigger screens with outputs for mouse and keyboard on the tablet.

G

for gaming the only problem in the future is its screen display and video card. Well today there is already an HDMI output on tablets and in the future we are also going to find the e-pci express.

There is no limit to progress.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]It's extremely unlikely there will ever be a tablet with a GPU powerful enough to satisfy an enthusiast PC gamer. However, given the plethora of console ports that don't demand much from the hardware (aside from their inefficiencies), it's entirely possible that we'll see future tablets running games that really are comparable to consoles.As far as the 10" screen and no mouse, that's what output ports are for.[/citation]

Have you heard of MSI GUS II? It can hold a pretty decent graphic card and play Battlefield at 1080 on Medium. One day, you can put your GTX 690 into one and be able to do the same thing. This is done through thunderbolt and bandwidth will increase making it easier. Some tablets are including thunderbolt ports for future use.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Let's not forget Microsoft created the Tablet PC, Zune, Microsoft Bob, Bing, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, and other failures. Even if tablets are the future (until Google figures out how to use those stupid glasses for more than taking videos), there is no reason to believe that Microsoft can compete with Apple better than Google can.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
For casual surfing on a comfy couch the 10 inch tablets are fine, but I still prefer 13 to 15 inch screens to actually enjoy consuming the content. Even though I just started using a Mac laptop recently after using only pc’s for over 25 years, I tend to grab it first because the screen is bigger and the Touch pad superior to all the previous pc based touch pads that I have used. The lighted key board that is magically attached to the screen also helps in holding the screen in place while I type. I would prefer a touch tablet to resemble a Mac Air Book with a hinge that holds the screen in place. We are probably one year away when touch screens comes to the Mac laptops as well. Microsoft partners need to be creative and make different products for the needs of different people.

What we all have to keep in mind is that Gates' is thinking from the typical consumer's perspective. We enthusiasts don't want the traditional PC to die, but for the general consumer that has flocked to tablets and AIOs, this may very well be the future.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The key words are "one day."

Sure "one day" you will be able to pack so much CPU and GPU into a tablet that it will be able to game and will be connected wirelessly to the tv of the future. I can see that being true. It might take 20-25 years for that to come about though.

At that point the box PC will probably stop to exist except as a high end specialty product for people who really need what today would be a super computer.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
The end of one era the beginning of a new era, like how some of my older relatives hardly use PC's at all at there age and they talk how talking to someone you use to pick up the telephone or a send a letter. Same goes for my generation, i will live with the PC until i can get that same experience on a tablet, unfortunately tablets in my eyes are just bigger phones. Its all too casual, and though you can game on it, i give that type of gaming a 3 out of 10 because its just not that fun, uncomfortable, screen size is too small for my taste, and sound quality is too poor. Its just how i see it, i believe tablets are great for casual people who keep there life on the go and just feel the need to be on the internet 24/7 whether it be on the sofa, in your car on the way to work, at the office during lunch break, or perhaps getting some of those graph reports to your boss by showing him all the work on your new surface device im sure it will fill these peoples lives. As for myself i just don't see a need for one unless it had a actual keyboard i will stick to a laptop, and as we all know even those aren't cheap if you want game on them. Just my opinion.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
If people are interested you can actually watch the whole interview here, for free and I believe without commercials.

G

if you havent noticed people, that todays and tommorows tablets have the same effective speed at web browsing and basic office tasks of todays laptops. tablets are just the nest progression from low-end laptops. including a keyboard with a tablet is just the icing on the cake.

honestly, i find no significant issue in a x86 surface tablet over a laptop. (when im on the go, all i need is the web.

the one thing i really hope surface tablets have usb ports. chances are, being a media buff, a internal ssd isnt going to do me justice.

G

Classzer for the win! You couldn't be ore right man. This is why MS pulled out all of the old Windows shell components and pushed their Metro touch as the basic OS. They want everybody moving to the tablet and now we know why... they plan to sell their own tablet and thus OWN the PC hardware AND software sector.

Somebody needs to make a really slick Linux that just crushes Windows in ability all around. Ubuntu just isn't it. It needs to be a lot slicker than that. Slicker than MacOS too. Someone please make a killer OS to kill off Microsoft once and for all!

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
All-In-One PCs typically sport touchscreens? I heard some newer models are trying to push that, but I thought it was pretty much a flop thus far.

G

I'm always amazed to hear the ignoramuses touting "Microsoft Failures". And what is YOUR net worth compared to the net worth of this "failed" company? So pathetic...

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]It's extremely unlikely there will ever be a tablet with a GPU powerful enough to satisfy an enthusiast PC gamer. However, given the plethora of console ports that don't demand much from the hardware (aside from their inefficiencies), it's entirely possible that we'll see future tablets running games that really are comparable to consoles.As far as the 10" screen and no mouse, that's what output ports are for.[/citation]

what output ports? The average tablet has one (1) micro-USB port which you'll need to charge the bloody thing (as the GPU draws too much power)? Sure I see a BT-joystick (psx) being used maybe. But we're talking about MSFT here. The same company that copies Apples restriction and go even further. If I see how crippled BT on WP7 devices is today then I strongly doubt it'll change in the future.

The only thing I see is that ericsson's original Bluetooth design is being raped by the big 2 mega-corps. We're regressing instead of progressing.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Let's not forget Microsoft created the Tablet PC, Zune, Microsoft Bob, Bing, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, and other failures. Even if tablets are the future (until Google figures out how to use those stupid glasses for more than taking videos), there is no reason to believe that Microsoft can compete with Apple better than Google can.[/citation]

Windows Mobile was a success. The original Compaq Ipaq was huge. HP screwed that one not MSFT.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Datruth[/nom]I'm always amazed to hear the ignoramuses touting "Microsoft Failures". And what is YOUR net worth compared to the net worth of this "failed" company? So pathetic...[/citation]
Didn't they say the same about banks awhile ago. How are they doing? With their airheads full of bullshit. Sure, I can't deny that some ppl got filthy rich by screwing over a lot of others. Microsoft is a prime example of one such company. They pretent to be the good guys while in reality Gates and co. got rich by screwing over the entire PC-industry. True success is a lot more than screwing over people and becoming wealthy in that process. Don't mistake greed for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.