Bill Gates Says Windows 8 is ''Very Exciting''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
What gets me if that Microsoft had developed a new OS version that was basically an update of the same old desktop model, everyone would be lambasting them for being stuck in the past and not responding to the modern computing ecosystem. So, whatever. Based on the preview version that I installed, Win 8 looks interesting to me, especially on a tablet.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]What gets me if that Microsoft had developed a new OS version that was basically an update of the same old desktop model, everyone would be lambasting them for being stuck in the past and not responding to the modern computing ecosystem.[/citation]

All they had to do was allow default booting to regular desktop (with the Start Menu), and allow Metro apps to run inside windows in desktop mode (so the Windows software ecosystem doesn't get split).

What they're doing with Windows Metro is trying to force change (most probably because they want that 30% of app sales from the app store).

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Winodws 8 is literally what people thought of Vista, and vista wasn't at all a waste, but there was negativity about it everywhere! Even people who knew nothing about software or computing thought it was crap even before they tried it which kind of pissed me off, so i hope windows 8 gets this type of publicity. Saying that though Windows 8 is nothing more then a mere skip, and if the past tells us anything if this thing doesn't fly with consumers in general then they will be quick about releasing another OS to cover there losses. And I'm a big windows fan, and i don't see why they made this transition.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Every doctor I know works on a laptop or convertible device. All of these seem to have touchscreens. One doctor uses a stylus to navigate through the medical documentation interface and its controls. Another uses the touchpad, even though the screen 3 inches away is touch-capable.

These are the types of people who use touch devices. They work on their feet, move around, and need to bring their data and applications with them.

Windows 8 won't help them much because all of their work is done inside an application. It might be 3 seconds quicker to launch the app in the beginning of the day because they can click on a big icon with a finger, but otherwise they don't see the UI fka Metro anyway.

The UI fka Metro is designed for phones, pads, and tablets... and the TV. It works well from 10' away on a 46" screen. But then MSFT went and not only left WMC features out of Metro, they actually left them out of Windows entirely unless you buy or upgrade to the Pro edition. What could have been an extremely slick integrated experience for Metro Apps and MC features (e.g. TV Guide as a tile, Photos as a tile, Music as a tile). But instead there is a Photos tile (that doesn't seem to see my photos for some reason and just shows empty folders?), AND there is the pictures + videos feature in 8MC that works. There is a Video tile that works part-way, AND there is again the pictures + videos feature in 8MC that works. There is a Music tile that seems designed to sell me stuff and doesn't show the music in my library, AND there is the 8MC music feature that works. And on top of it all, there's still Windows Media Player!! Who designed this $h!t? Furthermore, the UI for 8MC works better for keyboards and mice than the UI fka Metro. Why the Metro team deliberately ignored all of the insight learned by the MC team over the years is befuddling. Features such as the clickable arrows to scroll the page could have been easily incorporated... but weren't. WHY?

I've been using Win 8 for just 2 days now. I tried it once before with an early beta and ran into performance issues on my older HW, but my current HW seems to run it ok. I've run into various HW compatibility issues (it's a 2005 MB running an Intel Pentium on 915/ICH6R with 2GB RAM and lots of old devices, so no fault to MSFT on that), but I've been able to get most everything (except Hyper-V Client) working in Win 8 x64, including my integrated audio, Radeon X1800XL GPU, integrated LAN, Hauppauge analog tuner card and various other bits. But I have yet to see anything other than the file-xfer progress dialog and the new task manager that excites me. And I have seen a lot that doesn't excite me, such as having to learn new ways to get to the same configuration GUIs we've been using since XP. And I have seen some things that are just plain stupid, such as MSFT completely missing the opportunity to create an integrated interface for the living room that includes not only the existing 7MC features, but also new apps that are going to be appearing on phones, tablets and desktops everywhere.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
...Ok. You want to make an OS for touch-screen desktops. That's cool. But don't make me have to use it with my mouse and keyboard. That's when all hell breaks loose.

G

I had a conversation with a guy that works for Microsoft and he claimed that the whole idea behind windows 8 was to convert all MS devices to OS so that all things to one platform so that it could be picked up and run from any device from you desktop to your phone or tablet to the future xbox. That way you can pick up where you left on your xbox to play on you tablet (or so he claims)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i think getting used to the new UI in win8 is not such a big deal. i use less than 10 apps each day, so i'll just bunch them in a screen. Eventually with use, you'll get used to where to find things. Sometimes you have to take that bitter pill, breaking off from the legacy past and just move forward with new stuffs.

G

Anyone up for a fun conspiracy theory?

Maybe the reason Gates is looking forward to Win8, because it it fails, he'll use that chance to boot Ballmer out of the company. He'll then use that opportunity to bring Microsoft back to its former glory.

G

A comment I found deserves repeating, a hundred-million times.

Here's the comment from killerclick:

".. We invented remote controls because sitting close to the TV and using your arms was too much work, and someone is expecting users to use touchscreen monitors on their PCs? Delusional, to put it mildly."

To add an example, Skyward Sword was the most frustrating Zelda experience in history, due in no small part to its insistence on using motion-based controls for even the slightest action, even if it would be far easier to simply press a button.

Instead of sleeping peacefully beside loved ones while they played till 5am, as with say Twilight Princess on a traditional Controller, couples kept each other awake and very annoyed with their endless arm-waving, flapping like a mental patient, and shaking of furniture to make the stupid controls do what they wanted.

Count me out next time - our Christmas break was a major letdown thanks to Skyward Sword and we have zero interest in checking out the next big Nintendo product. Naturally, we could not depend on a single "Game Journalist" to give us an honest scoop on this product before we bought it.

Over-use of the trendy touch screen concept will similarly doom anything that makes the same logical missteps.

hexiv

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
"However, smartphones and tablets, led by the iPhone and iPad, have changed the way people work."

Maybe it is because of my profession (I'm an attorney and things tend to be adopted VERY slowly) but I don't know anyone who "works" using a smartphone or tablet except when they are on a plane or in a situation where they have to. There is no way I'm doing hours of research or writing a 40 page brief on a smartphone or tablet. or even a laptop for that matter (unless using a better stand-alone keyboard attached to it). Aside from watching movies, casual browsing, or playing casual games on the go, are there really professions out there that "work" primarily on a smartphone or tablet to such an extent that it really "changes the way you work?" I'm just curious because I don't see it. Windows XP/7 still rules in my working world and will for some long time to come.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]While it may be so ... since when is it news when someone associated with a company calls their own products "exciting?"[/citation]
Makes the news every time "the Woz" comments on anything...why should Gates be any different? They're the 2 people that actually made the computer industry what it was....

G

Alright, here's my opinion. Windows 8 has some nice innovations and improvements. However, I am not a fan of the metro UI, it seriously kills it for me. I want collapsible menu systems that I don't have to scroll through, I want an intuitive means to get to it. Metro UI could do this, but doesn't. It prioritizes large sticky buttons with icons or other image representations, and a terrible, unintuitive way to shut down your machine. I would like it, when I pushed the windows key, to see a shut down button, and a all programs button in the button of the metro UI, not found in some off shooting bar that periodically jets out when I happen to be in the right area obscuring what I am doing already. (I want a physical click or tap of the area PLEASE!) I want a direct link to the control panel, and not have to take some dark backwater way to get to the settings. (I know they are doing that so people stop messing up their PC's. I'll cut them some slack.) But most notably, The only thing I actually like about Windows 8, happens to be the improved task manager. I almost exclusively use that and icons I am forced to put on my desktop, because it's better than the Metro UI they provided for me... Metro UI doesn't actually have enough space for all my programs, and effective enough to browse through to get to my programs in a timely fashion. And screw some of those new programs, like the new picture viewer, when I am done with the program, I want it closed out (period). Not have to jump back into the metro ui, and navigate somewhere else.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Probably will be great for mobile devices and tablets, But will suck hardcore for desktop users!
There summed it up.
Touchscreen monitor is less productive than a mouse/keyboard setup in desktop environment, Also I don't want to be cleaning my damn monitor everyday from greasy fingerprints all over it. Come on admit it it we all have snacks healthy or otherwise at some point while on pc wether working/gaming or surfing web. If I have the option of reverting to a win 7 style on this new win 8 without tweaking anything myself or using 3rd party program then I may buy it otherwise I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I think he might be right, I am an Android user and most likely stay a android user. But so far windows 8 looks very competitive and being relatively new operating system should only get better. I love competition hence why I wont support apple ever! This could become the new Blackberry as if they do it well enough it would be perfect for business. Also I think the windows tablets might be the tablets to beat in a few years, especially when Intel gets their act together.

G

Changing the name from Metro to "modern" HA! I call it the MO DARN! interface, Darn! where is that program I need, is it here?, is it here? Darn! tiles! Darn Charms!, they are not charming at all! Darn! why is it such a pain to use my mouse! Darn! why does my computer act like an oversized cell phone! Darn! my arm hurts!

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
maybe he meant to say it's an exciting time in computing in general.

because to be honest windows 8 does nothing for me, I'm happy with windows 7.
seems more for the mobile sector anyways windows 8 does.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i hate having to touch and look at my finger prints on a monitor....just imagine what your monitor will look like after just a few hours of smudging your body oils all over the monitor....windex will become your best friend

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I use Windows 8. It feels so much faster than 7, (even on my mediocre PC), that I can't go back.
BTW, I wish I had been paid by microsoft for this comment, but I have not been.
I have pirated every version of windows up until now. I plan on buying 8. *shrug*
You people that can't get over a missing start button can do whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.