Bill Gates Says Windows 8 is ''Very Exciting''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I don't hate Windows 8. I think the "Metro UI" is great for touch screen applications. But I do not think it works well with a Mouse, and as a traditional desktop user, I want to be able to use my standard desktop and start menu (without 3rd party apps).

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
You have a lot of shares in a company that's about to release crap or at least crappier than before product.....What do? :/

Tell everyone it's good :D

The only good thing that would come of a win8 flop (though my bet is that it will succeed far beyond analyst's expectations) is that MS would be rid of Balmer. that would be good for MS, and good for the PC industry as a whole.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
With the great success that W7 was (over half a million licenses), I think it's only logical to take a risk and test the market. What's important about W8 is that it's gonna encourage manufacturers to make better, more affordable touch screens for consumers. It's also going to force tablet manufacturer to stop half-assing tablets and make decent ones that can compete with the Surface and iPad. I'm sure most of the tablet manufacturers sh*t themselves when they heard of the Surface, and they probably still do because it looks better than the most of the crap they've made so far.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Just give us the option to run “classic theme/mode” or even “aero” with a start button and start menu. I understand the need to keep the install learn for mobile devices so make this an option that needs to be installed as separate module or slipstreamed into the install. Heck MS could even sell it for $5 bucks. I would pay a very small fee extra for that.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
"Hybrid" products always fail. Windows 8 is a hybrid of touch and click UI, so I put my $1 on Windows 8 to fail. But failure in the way I see windows now, it may succeed in a different way.
-SK

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Metro really sucks, big time. But it is manageable I guess. It will take time to get used to it.
As long as they dont force you into using fucking Bing! embedded in your system, Im good with W8.

After all, they actually are improving the way the kernel handles threading, and if it helps the AMD modular arch, Im all for it. The PC market needs some balance.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Considering that the regular desktop UI is a hot-key press away from the Metro-UI load screen, the fact that the auto-load into desktop UI is easily scripted, (and the fact that my computer runs 24-7 so the boot behavior matters to me not at all), I am ignoring all the complainers.

Windows users that are not trolling every Win 8 article with predictions of doom care about 3 things in our OS.
1) stability
2) efficiency
3) compatibility.
The first two have already been demonstrated by Win 8 - I am abig fan of my OS and software getting the most out of my hardware - the only thing that really matters really. Afterall, I'm using my PC to run software - not to stare at the desktop or getting warm fuzzies about how my desktop is arranged (in fact, its empty - quick launch bar all the way, which is metro-UI lite IMO anyway).
The one remaining concern is software compatibility, especially older software - that I've heard little about. Not too worried about it, but still going to wait and see before pulling the trigger.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
it might have been a very giant step for MS if touch monitors were affordable. Im very confused as to why MS is pushing this tabletish UI as a revolutionary product that people will enjoy if 99% of people dont have touch screen monitors to enjoy the full experience. this will not be bigger than 95, nor will the next os. this is certainly going to be the biggest trainwreck in MS history(keep in mind, population goes up, prices go up, more people need PCs, so they might make more money[numbers] but it will be worse recieved than vista and millenium).

CDdude55

Distinguished
Not really news, it's like reporting Micheal Jordan thinks the launch of his new shoes are an amazing milestone. What else is he going to say?

I think it has already been express over and over again by many people why i will not be moving over to Windows 8, hence i will not try to sound redundant.

G

As exciting as Vista and Millenium? Most likely. When will windows 9 come out?

camel82

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Win 3 was not based on Desktop paradigm, Win95 was = innovation
Win 7 was based on Desktop paradigm, Win 8 will not be (trying to hide it behind tiles-UI, forced down the throat of users in any conceivable way) = "de-novation"

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I know everyone is complaining about windows 8, most of those people haven't used it yet. Windows 7 is glorious actually it's what Vista should have been ... but I think windows 8 is going to be very good, what I've seen so far I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.