Bill Gates: This Is How Steve Jobs Inspired Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Life's too short,. make it worth not only for your family but also to others,.. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have been a strong supporter.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]Life's too short,. make it worth not only for your family but also to others,.. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have been a strong supporter.[/citation]

Don't forget to make it worth to yourself.

So... here I was hoping that everybody would finally STFU about Jobs and this happens? Bill, I am disappoint.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
when i hear bill gates and steve jobs in a sentence

i always think of that TNT movie Pirates of Silcon Valley....

Jobs says "were better, u know" and Gates says " it doesnt matter"

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.

I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)
I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)

Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.
Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]I'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.[/citation]

I disagree.

While I will admit that Bill Gates does do significantly more philanthropic work than Steve Jobs did, I don't believe Apple is really any different that Microsoft at the core. They are both tech companies that make tech products, granted Microsoft has a more software-oriented approach than Apple's all-in-one approach, but they really are no different. They both use hardware products from companies without any real employee labor rights (including Foxconn), they both defend their products as much as they can, and they both try to eliminate the competition.

I just can't see why Steve Jobs and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way. The only difference is Apple somehow makes front page news. Microsoft sues retailers that carry the Android for some bogus reason and hardly anyone pays attention. Yet when Apple sues Samsung over the Galaxy it all of a sudden makes front page news. I. just. don't. get. it.

G

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Don't forget to make it worth to yourself.[/citation]

Indeed. If you help yourself, you will be able to help all those around you. We must all look at the choices we make and how they affect not only us, but everyone who will be affected by them.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Steve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so.

Steve Jobs is an inspiration to all.

Give me a break.

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Steve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so. Steve Jobs is an inspiration to all. Give me a break.[/citation]
That. Says. It. All.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]... I just can't see why Steve Job and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way.... [/citation]

Apple and child labor, over 90 incidents that were reported in 2010, 13 reported by apple in 2011, 6 still ongoing.

At some point in time every company makes mistakes, and every major company has had a factory with child labor and inhuman conditions make their products. When you make as much profit as Apple does (13 billion last quarter), you should be able to do "The right thing" and hire from factories with better conditions, or -GASP- make an American factory.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Steve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so.[/citation]
Not supporting Steve jobs or Apple in any way, but when he came back to Apple in 1997, they were on the verge of going bankrupt. After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program and are now the single biggest financial supporter of that program.

While I agree that he could have done more. Saying that he did nothing is incorrect.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Apple and child labor, over 90 incidents that were reported in 2010, 13 reported by apple in 2011, 6 still ongoing.At some point in time every company makes mistakes, and every major company has had a factory with child labor and inhuman conditions make their products. When you make as much profit as Apple does (13 billion last quarter), you should be able to do "The right thing" and hire from factories with better conditions, or -GASP- make an American factory.[/citation]

United States companies that use Foxconn factories:
- Amazon
- Apple
- Barnes & Noble
- Cisco
- Dell
- EVGA
- HP
- Intel
- IBM
- Microsoft
- Motorola
- Netgear
- Vizio

EVERY one of those companies saw their income increase in 2011, all but four saw a increase greater than $3 Billion, and the vast majority of Americans use a product made by one of those companies. How come they aren't "doing the right thing."

I mean I completely agree with you, something needs to be done about this. But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I disagree.While I will admit that Bill Gates does do significantly more philanthropic work than Steve Jobs did, I don't believe Apple is really any different that Microsoft at the core. They are both tech companies that make tech products, granted Microsoft has a more software-oriented approach than Apple's all-in-one approach, but they really are no different. They both use hardware products from companies without any real employee labor rights (including Foxconn), they both defend their products as much as they can, and they both try to eliminate the competition.I just can't see why Steve Jobs and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way. The only difference is Apple somehow makes front page news. Microsoft sues retailers that carry the Android for some bogus reason and hardly anyone pays attention. Yet when Apple sues Samsung over the Galaxy it all of a sudden makes front page news. I. just. don't. get. it.[/citation]

apple sues over rounded edges, microsoft sued over things they had pattents for, and back when they were filed, they were VERY relevant. however now they are common sense and should be open source.

the difference is where they come down on the suits. apple sued because of ascetics, microsoft sued over function. both of them dick moves, but apple was worse.

and apple is the only company suing over the most retarded reasons. most other trolls have at least one reasonably valid patent, but apple, no, they sue over touching your phone in the most obvious way to unlock it.

i think jobs is less than George Lucas, george came up with the ideas, and made them the best way he could at the time, potatos, shoes and all. its after it was big that he screwed it all up by re touching everything. jobs is only good as a designer, he didn't make crap, just told his engineers what to do and guarded them like a hawk and has prison lock down like checks in the company. all he did was make it pretty, lucas at least made his product.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom] After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program ..... But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.[/citation] First of all I have never heard of Project Red and a google search lists something about hospital disposal something or other. Second Apple is HUGE with tons of money compared to most of those other companies if not all. Do you really believe that the little guys should be the ones to set the example while the big fish just go about their business of using people and making money? Is that not the problem with big government in the US where the little guy has to make the financial sacrifices but the big multi billionaires get all the incentives and the tax cuts. I think you along with these corporate big wigs need to get some perspective.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I don't understand why people keep complaining how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates steal other people's idea. Ideas, if not put into practical use, are just plain imaginations! Steve and Bill are the people who turn ideas into reality; one day of their life time is worth 10 years of most of our life. So, to you bunch of losers and whiners, just keep your ideas/imaginations to yourself and take them to the grave with you!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Clonazepam[/nom]I think he meant Product Red.[/citation]
Indeed I did, thank you. mousemonkey closed the topic so I could not edit my post. But for some reason we can still comment... strange.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
So the 13 year old in me found it necessary to point out that during their last conversation Jobs
would throw some things out, you know, some stimulating things
and then Jobs filled a void in Gates.

Yes this is irreverent, juvenile, petty, and a complete mockery of what the article is actually about, but late on a Friday afternoon this will have me laughing all the way home. And yes I do hope people mock me this way after I die, at least then people would know I was relevant.

jez_03

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Project Red the BRAND that spends more on advertising than on doing any good.... yup sits well with the Apple brand.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
In the end people need to understand that behind those big company names are sensible persons too who admittedly could be ferocious rivals but at the same time respect and admire each other. Is when we come to the public opinion, and the internet lately, when some myths and distortions get really wild.

And I am not going to apologize to anyone for using an Apple product. But neither I am going to apologize to anyone for using any product from DeLL, MS, IBM, Adobe, Autodesk, ASUS, Lian-Li, Intel, Corsair, D-LINK, Kensington, OWC, Samsung, Nvidia or ATI among many others. I have all these and more in only one desk where I work and play. I read about technology because I like it and is useful to me and that is the only side I take.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]I'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.[/citation]

Huh, That is a really bad comparison because Star Wars is most of what George Lucas's legacy is. Jobs had a good bit more. Also, Bill was not always a saint. Microsoft destroyed allot of their competitors through the integration of software solution into their OS. Remember Netscape, Real, and many others. They did very similar things using different approaches and as a result have dominated at different points.

Status
Not open for further replies.