billing fraud by Bitdefender

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysunshines

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
I tried Bitdefender for a few months then deleted it.
9 months later my credit card was billed $ 119 for a renewal i didnt ask for , when i checked my paypal account i found Bitdefender had enabled an automatic renewal which i cancelled and put in a paypal claim , but Paypal refused my claim.
I emailed Bitdefender and their "billing contractor" who rudely replied that "as i lodged a paypal complaint i would now have to wait up to 120 days before they would consider my claim".

Does anyone see this as anything but dirty deceitful racketeering ?

Can i complain to FBI and charge them with wire fraud or anything ?

This is disgusting behaviour.

Any suggestions ?

Wolfshadw

Titan
From what I can tell, Bitdefender comes with a 30 day trial. As with most trial period software, you need to understand that you are indeed subscribing for the service and you WILL be billed automatically unless you CANCEL your subscription. Failure to cancel within a specific time frame will result in being billed.

Did you actively log into your account and request a cancellation of service? If so, then you should have proof of such (an e-mail stating your subscription was cancelled/terminated) and you can use that as proof in your case.

The 120 days is likely to allow PayPal to complete their investigation into the issue (or so they'll claim).

Not sure if there's anything more that you can do here.

-Wolf sends

mysunshines

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
From what I can tell, Bitdefender comes with a 30 day trial. As with most trial period software, you need to understand that you are indeed subscribing for the service and you WILL be billed automatically unless you CANCEL your subscription. Failure to cancel within a specific time frame will result in being billed.

Did you actively log into your account and request a cancellation of service? If so, then you should have proof of such (an e-mail stating your subscription was cancelled/terminated) and you can use that as proof in your case.

The 120 days is likely to allow PayPal to complete their investigation into the issue (or so they'll claim).

Not sure if there's anything more that you can do here.

-Wolf sends

Paypal completed their "investigation" and refused to refund the money.

How can people see this as anything but a fraud ?

They must think that 50 % of people will give up or even if they give back my money after 120 days they still get the interest earned in that period.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's not fraud because you agreed to their terms when you signed up. It's not their fault if you didn't read/abide by them.
You'd be surprised at just how many people allow this to happen. (why do you think companies do it this way in the first place?) To them, it's free money.

-Wolf sends

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Wolfshadw's answer is 100% spot on. If you don't abide (and read) the terms of the agreement you approved when installing the product, then you are responsible for the outcome.

You may still be able to resolve the matter with Bitdefender if you work with them, in a calm and reasonable manner. Good luck.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Have and have used Bitdefender for many years.

When you purchase a subscription it sets you up for auto renewal, it even tells you this. You can go back in and remove it after you set up. Their site points it out more than once.

Its not wire fraud if they warned you multiple times and provided you a simple mechanism with which to remove it.

I agree with COLGeek, easier to fight bees with honey than vinegar.

mysunshines

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Have and have used Bitdefender for many years.

When you purchase a subscription it sets you up for auto renewal, it even tells you this. You can go back in and remove it after you set up. Their site points it out more than once.

Its not wire fraud if they warned you multiple times and provided you a simple mechanism with which to remove it.

I agree with COLGeek, easier to fight bees with honey than vinegar.

I tried honey they threw back something opposite.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited:
i agree it sucks and they shouldnt be allowed to do it.here in canada our cable providers tried that for awhile.but,while it sucks you were given the oppertunity to cancel.sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.