News Billion-Year Data Archive Expands Beyond Moon: Next Stop, Mars

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
What we really need is some kind of next-gen optical/holographic cold storage format that can hold hundreds of terabytes with no degradation and be sold at consumer-friendly prices. Let millions of people around the world do the archiving.

That could also be sent to other planets along with analog instructions on how to read the digital data formats.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think a great way that humanity could repay the planet for all the damage we're doing is if we could prevent the next large-magnitude extinction event. Of course, in order to do that, we need to figure out how to sustain human & other life on our planet until then. The next thing we should do is set our eyes on spreading Earth-bound life to other bodies devoid of their own life, but until we can learn to live together and within finite resources, any such project (at scale) is doomed.

I once heard a claim that resonated with me, and I'm pretty sure it's true: the least hospitable place on the surface of the Earth is more habitable than the next-most hospitable place in the solar system. Terraforming Mars looks completely infeasible for multiple, fundamental reasons. Even if we can make colonies on the moon and Mars self-sustaining, how long do you think they'll last? Maybe 10k years? That's a drop in the bucket, compared to even hominid life on Earth. There's really no getting around the fact that we need to figure how to make the life-sustaining capacity of the Earth last.

Hoping someone, someday finds an archive of our information is a nice idea, and better than nothing, but it's pretty small consolation. Also, I'll bet the project considered this, but I'd be worried about the nano-film getting degraded by cosmic rays and such. And then there's the risk of it getting buried by dust - maybe kicked up by meteor impacts, but Mars also has enough atmosphere to blow around the stuff.

Last edited: