[SOLVED] .bin files keep on unzipping to vlc file

kbroman

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
hellow all. so..everytime i unzip stuff and get a .bin file, it keeps on turning into a vlc file. it would say " vlc media file (.bin)(.bin)" is there a way i can restore the .bin file back ?

Solution
In vlc preferences check file associations. Uncheck bin files, but if option is grayed out you can try changing via registry. Or more simple, uninstall vlc and reinstall,because at the install screen you can choose to leave unchecked the *. bin file extension when asked about file associations.
Ps : via registry, you can check more here, but i recomend creating a System restore point before editing :
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=59260

kbroman

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
More information needed.

What "stuff" are you downloading and where are you getting it?

What are you using to unzip the files?

im trying to run a sega saturn emulation. i need two files to run the emulation. i use 7zip to unzip them. when i u do unzip them they are .bin files. but they come out as vlc icon. the files end as (.bin)(.bin) files. i try to add the files into my emulation files but its not detecting them. im not sure if vlc icon is messing up my .bin files.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
In vlc preferences check file associations. Uncheck bin files, but if option is grayed out you can try changing via registry. Or more simple, uninstall vlc and reinstall,because at the install screen you can choose to leave unchecked the *. bin file extension when asked about file associations.
Ps : via registry, you can check more here, but i recomend creating a System restore point before editing :
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=59260

Last edited:
Solution

kbroman

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
i tired uninstalling vlc but alas..it didnt help. i changed it to a explore file and it lost the (.bin)(.bin). it was just a .bin file again. seemed to help. thanks for all the replies and help guys.