[SOLVED] binary and messenger

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
I dont really trust messenger, or any other mainstream messaging application and the ones that are trustworthy noone is using them. I am guessing that if messenger sells my messages to corpos and goverments, they would have a search filter for certain words. I was thinking convert an already "encrypted" (greek words with latin characters, everyone knows how to read this, but it is not an official language) to binary and then send the message that contains info that i only want to share to the person i am talking to. So, do you think that this is a somewhat level of privacy, or they would have already think of this?

Solution
i didnt say it was facebook. Also my newtwork is private and i mostly connect to sites with htpps protection
And as said, your router logs are reporting the same thing as my router logs, and every other router logs.
Multiple scans and attempts, every day.

The router is doing its job and just throwing those away.
They're not looking at you, they are hitting every possible IP address.

No different than robocalls, where they call every possible phone number, hoping for a hit.

"private and https" has nothing to do with this.
One Time Pads, with random keys more than long enough for the message sent, and if shared with users intended for securely and properly, are unbreakable....

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/otp.php

Take the resultant unbreakable encrypted gibberish text, put it in a notepad doc, and 7-zip/AES256 encrypt that...

(that being said, if FB/Msgr wants to or bothers to read /analyze my messages to my mother, daughters, and assorted acquaintances, I suspect they gain quite little from it.) :)

USAFRet

Titan
I dont really trust messenger, or any other mainstream messaging application and the ones that are trustworthy noone is using them. I am guessing that if messenger sells my messages to corpos and goverments, they would have a search filter for certain words. I was thinking convert an already "encrypted" (greek words with latin characters, everyone knows how to read this, but it is not an official language) to binary and then send the message that contains info that i only want to share to the person i am talking to. So, do you think that this is a somewhat level of privacy, or they would have already think of this?
This facebook messenger you're worried about?

If you don't want them to have that text, don't use the service. Or, don't use it for anything important.

If you encrypt this, then you are requiring your recipient to do work to decrypt.
Unless this is trivially done with a single click, you'll get pushback from them.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
This facebook messenger you're worried about?

If you don't want them to have that text, don't use the service. Or, don't use it for anything important.

If you encrypt this, then you are requiring your recipient to do work to decrypt.
Unless this is trivially done with a single click, you'll get pushback from them.
I dont care if they keep my casual messages, but there are some that i want to keep private. In these situations i send the recipient the link for a translator, so this is not an issue. The issue is does it work?

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
One Time Pads, with random keys more than long enough for the message sent, and if shared with users intended for securely and properly, are unbreakable....

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/otp.php

Take the resultant unbreakable encrypted gibberish text, put it in a notepad doc, and 7-zip/AES256 encrypt that...

(that being said, if FB/Msgr wants to or bothers to read /analyze my messages to my mother, daughters, and assorted acquaintances, I suspect they gain quite little from it.) :)
thanks for the reply. I 've noticed in the admin's log on my router site (i probably butcher the terminology, but honestly i don't know how it is called) that there were multiple attempts to break my firewall and that has caused me a bit of unsertaintly for who watches what i do. Concidering facebook hasnt the best past on privacy and I dont have the best past on facebook I am not sure that they won't sell my messages to those who tried to break into my connection.

USAFRet

Titan
thanks for the reply. I 've noticed in the admin's log on my router site (i probably butcher the terminology, but honestly i don't know how it is called) that there were multiple attempts to break my firewall and that has caused me a bit of unsertaintly for who watches what i do. Concidering facebook hasnt the best past on privacy and I dont have the best past on facebook I am not sure that they won't sell my messages to those who tried to break into my connection.
"multiple attempts".
That happens to every pubic facing device, every day, all day.

It's not facebook.

Ralston18

Titan
Multiple attempts to break your firewall does not necessarily mean that someone is watching what you do. (Barring some reasons for specifically doing so.)

Does depend on the nature of the messages - only you know that.

The firewall is doing its job much as a locked door prevents people from simply "walking" in. Those people go about trying door knobs or car doors, etc. to find an unlocked one.

Scammers, crooks, and bad guys in general look for easy targets.

We must get 4 - 5 robocalls a day that are randomly dialing numbers. The calls fail because we have NomoRobo plus we do not answer the phone if we do not recognize the number.

Besides it comes to my mind that if you are trying all sorts of schemes, encryption, etc. to hide your messages (no matter how innocent) you may simply draw attention to yourself in some manner.

Something may get flagged or otherwise noted based on a behavior pattern or just a simple random selection such as a tax audit.

USAFRet

Titan
i didnt say it was facebook. Also my newtwork is private and i mostly connect to sites with htpps protection
And as said, your router logs are reporting the same thing as my router logs, and every other router logs.
Multiple scans and attempts, every day.

The router is doing its job and just throwing those away.
They're not looking at you, they are hitting every possible IP address.

No different than robocalls, where they call every possible phone number, hoping for a hit.

"private and https" has nothing to do with this.

Reactions: Ralston18
Solution