Bing vs Google: The Bing It On Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Good call for Microsoft to try to shake up Bing. I just dont know anyone who willingly uses Bing or anything that Bing does better than Google. What the answer to this question "why anyone would willingly switch from Google to Bing"?
Some true differentiator examples are:
- Duckduckgo.com search does not "bubble" you and does it trace your past searches. there are people who like it and use
- Qaudlook search puts classic and realtime social media together. there are people who like to save time.
- Twitter.com finds realtime answers

Where is search going from Google? Could there be anything beyond?

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I like bing but i never use it mainly because firefox defaults the search tool bar to google and im too lazy to change it!

anyway the best thing for me about Bing is the maps. I love the birds eye view feature.

znakist

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
BING WON 0 ROUNDS * loool why im not surprised. They suck big time on the search. nothing compare to google right now.

G

Bing 0 - Draw 1 - Google 4
Bing brought up a lot of sites selling what I was looking for rather than sites with information about what I was looking for. For example if I search for an IBM M1015 Bing brought up nothing but generic faceless wholesaler websites while Google brought up threads from [H]ard|Forum, VMware forums and many more info pages. Bing is just marketing crap, though not saying Google isn't, at least Google doesn't make it as apparant.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I like Bing's add free result., but I cannot say I have a preference for actual web results between the two. For me Google's image and video results are far superior to Bing's . And these are features I often use. In general Google's extra search features are better. Microsoft's implementations seem thin at best or poor imitations in the worst cases. No map search - Google rules freely accessible maps plain and simple. And finally when moving down the list of broad seach options in both browsers you basically start seeing the cracks in Bing when you press the "more" option in the both browsers. Bing is weak.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
@Samkl: I tried switching to Duckduckgo, due to their "Google is evil" marketing. It's true to some extent, as in it really tracks your search and will provide personalized ads.

But again. When I'm logged in, or I just use Google.com, I get good results. Results I can use, I want.
If I use Duckduckgo (either from the website or from Firefox's search bar), I just get irrelevant links.

(And there is Ghostery, if anyone dislikes the tracking features. For example, this page contains 18 scripts, according to Ghostery.)

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Google 3, Bing 2 - It was close for me. in all honesty, they both brought up basically the same websites... Google just seemed to put them in more relevant order.

G

IDK know about search results, but Bing maps is really terrible when compared with Google. A lot of times streets, zip codes and towns/suburbs really do not match or Bing maps cant find address at all, while Google maps can find and has a lot more details about area.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Search for 5 pirated torrents. Bing wins every time since they didn't bend over to corporate force and censor their searches (yet). If Google continues to censor their results for both their own gain and the gain of the industry instead of asserting their rights as a neutral third party, I cannot support them. When Bing eventually does it, it will be time to switch to something else. A search engine's job is to give me the results I searched for, not present me with the results the search engine's owner wants me to see in an attempt to control me.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Bing it on? This sounds like the Windows Phone "Smoked" campaign, and we all know how well that turned out for WP7.x marketing (I'm not saying anything about WP, only that MS's marketing sucks because it didn't get anyone to buy their product more than normal).

Why does MS continually introduce marketing that can easily leave it hanging as not-the-best option? And then frequently does?

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Google 5 Bing 0, and I was expecting a 3-2 result o_O

Btw great way for MS to know what keyword searches they need to improve...

I can't usually find my search result in Bing. Google spends a lot of money cleaning up their search interface, which is why there are a 1-2 ads up top, a few on the side, and then all of your results. Fairly clean.

Bing on the other hand, has an extremely distracting toolbar, ads f***ing everywhere (mixed in with results on occasion) and the results text is smaller than the ad text, making it easier for the results to get buried.

Just gave the challenge a shot. Ended up 1-3-1 with Bing winning, and here's the reason.

Bing responds pretty well to questions. Microsoft's algorithm is different, and tries to provide answers. The problem is that we've used Google long enough to know that it won't answer questions.

The other part is that the comparison test they have is what Bing should look like (refer to my other post). The test had a beautiful, clean layout with no obnoxious banners and ads, so it was easier to see the results. Microsoft - learn from this...

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
First try, and Google wins 5-0:

t00uut.jpg

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I use Bing and preferred it over Google from late 2009 'til about a month ago when suddenly I noticed that search results were becoming more commercial product focused and less information focused. Microsoft must think that the web is only full of consumers because when I try to learn something constructive, I get products for a page or two before I find what I'm looking for.

Up until a month ago, I liked their results better than Google... but now I'm going to Google much more often than I had previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.