Question BIOS battery error

decaying_presence

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
A few months ago the battery for my laptop died, and I keep getting these bios errors every time I restart my pc about checking if my battery is connected and if it has sufficient power, 20% or more. Is it perhaps an attempt to update the firmware of the bios? To update it you need a battery with sufficient power, which I do not have. This laptop is a mess, and I probably won't be getting a new battery for it. All I want to do is reset my pc, so I can remove the files I don't want from my pc, which I cannot do due to that error with the power. Every time my pc is restarting for the reset I see some text about a system update and then it boots into the bios giving me that error. If it's a firmware error, is there any way to bypass the warning?
Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm not an expert.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

Are you able to plug the laptop into a wall outlet and turn the laptop on? I.e., no reliance on battery.

If so, you should be able to copy off the desired files to another computer, external drive, or network storage.

And you may also have the option of removing the drive from the laptop and installing the drive in an external USB case. Then connect the now external drive to another computer to copy off the data.

Remember: use Copy . Not Move. If something goes wrong with a move the original data may be lost.

Otherwise you will need to retrieve any necessary data via your backups. Which, hopefully, you do have....

decaying_presence

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
Make and model laptop?

Are you able to plug the laptop into a wall outlet and turn the laptop on? I.e., no reliance on battery.

If so, you should be able to copy off the desired files to another computer, external drive, or network storage.

And you may also have the option of removing the drive from the laptop and installing the drive in an external USB case. Then connect the now external drive to another computer to copy off the data.

Remember: use Copy . Not Move. If something goes wrong with a move the original data may be lost.

Otherwise you will need to retrieve any necessary data via your backups. Which, hopefully, you do have....
Yes, my laptop can run without the battery. I've already stored my desired files onto a usb, but I'm looking to use the option to reset my pc just to clear up some junk I don't need. What I'm having trouble doing right now is figuring what this error is and how to solve it so I can do the reset. Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly.

My laptop is an Asus X540UB.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding the error(s):

What specific error(s) are you seeing?

Do not worry about your explanations per se. Sometimes the cynic in me comes to the conclusion that the developer's have no idea either.... :)

So all of us end users get vague information.....

What "junk" is it that you have determined that you do not need?