Question Bios battery replaced, now won't boot up - light just blinks

Nov 26, 2019
Hi. I have a Dell Optiplex 745. I started getting a low voltage warning on the CMOS battery. I replaced the battery (CR2032) and went to restart the PC, but, now I get nothing!! The LED on the front panel just blinks, I don't even hear the power supply start!
Can anyone help me with this issue? I have done the Dell "reboot" disconnect the battery, power cord, and hold the start button for 6-8 seconds, that did nothing.
I'm really perplexed here?! I suspect it might be the power supply? I wanted to ask the experts (you folks) before I start dumping money into this older unit.
Thanks in advance for any input, I greatly appreciate it.
Mark

What was the reason for which you replaced the CMOS battery? Was it already having problems?

Make sure you didn't install the CMOS battery upside down.

Try unplugging the power supply from the wall, remove the CMOS battery, flip the switch on the back of the PSU to the off ( 0 ) position, press the power button on the case continuously for 30 seconds then release it. After five minutes have passed, install the CMOS battery and make sure that it is installed with the "smooth" side UP. Plug the cable back into the wall. Flip the PSU switch back to the on ( I ) position. Power on the unit.

If it will not power on, then I'd recommend you verify whether the power supply even has basic functionality still by doing the following.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

Maybe so, but when it's what you have, it's what you have. Some folks simply can't do better.

Given it's age though, I'd be willing to bet you have a dead power supply or a dead motherboard. In either case, it is not worth throwing any money at in order to fix it, especially for what is likely a proprietary format motherboard and power supply and likely can't just be replaced by something off the shelf.

Might be time to look at other options.