[SOLVED] BIOS Beep Codes - Advice Request (April 20, 2020)

Apr 20, 2020
Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is having a "lovely" quarantine and that you and your loved ones are doing well. I am writing to the community here to get some help on some possible next steps with the following issue: (please keep in mind I am not well versed in computer lingo/hardware/common sense solutions...I know a few things but you'll understand why I'm here)

Need some help with an older ( HP ENVY Desktop - 750-177c ) computer that has a cheap dedicated graphics card ( GeForce GTX 745 (OEM) ) that is currently hooked up to a ( MSI OPTIX MAG272R ) monitor via a non-highspeed HDMI cable. If hooked up this way, there are no issues and the graphics card can run the monitor at 120hz (max) with no problems.

I would like to safely run the monitor at 165hz with the use of a DisplayPort cable that I own (new, roughly 2 weeks old). The graphics card mentioned above does have a DisplayPort connector and I have successfully removed the HDMI cable originally used and connected the DisplayPort cable from the graphics card to the monitor. I can use the computer with no problems until I restart.

Here is the issue: (considering the DisplayPort cable is the only display cable being used)

• Firstly, when the computer is set to restart, it powers down and at the very end of that power down or at the very start of the boot up, I hear 3 long beeps followed by 3 short higher pitched beeps that repeat 3 or 4 times. Once that series of beeps are completed, the computer will boot up and I will be able to use it without an issue.
    • After some research I found the following beeps to be a code that signals the following: "The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from graphics initialization ".
  • Secondly, I am not too happy with the fact that the computer will work but you have to go through a weird issue of BIOS beeps before you actually get to use it. It should work just like the HDMI cable in that you turn off or restart the computer and there are no beeps and the monitor turns on when the computer boots up.
Some of the solutions I've tried implementing:
  • I have downloaded some HP software that should detect the issue and give you the appropriate drivers.
    • did not work
  • I have downloaded the latest drivers for the graphics card
    • did not work
  • I have manually located the latest BIOS update to take the current 2015 version to a newer 2018 version.
    • Did my due diligence to find the correct one
    • Driver: ( A0.20 Rev.A )
    • Installed but was never asked to restart...the installation began, a DOS window came up and disappeared
    • did not work
  • I have reseated the following after powering down and removing all cables:
    • Memory DIMMS & graphics card
    • did not work

So the questions I have for the community are of the "what do I do next" variety:
  • Considering that this is fairly weak card and the monitor is somewhat powerful, can this card safely run the monitor at 165hz or am I asking an old man to carry all the weight of his regrets? Meaning...am I asking too much of this graphics card by having it carry the monitor at 165hz?
    • If so, what graphics card can be added to my system that wont require an overhaul of the, or a combination of, power supply, motherboard, memory and CPU?
  • Is this problem solved through some BIOS reflash of some kind?
    • This would be out of my league here and I understand it is a risky move if you don't know what you are doing.

I believe that this card should be able to power the monitor but due to the beeping, I am inclined to only use the HDMI cable at 120hz and just live with it. If there is a solution I have not listed, suggestions you may have, or questions about my system, please let me know and I will respond fairly quickly.

I appreciate the help and time taken to read in advance. Have a great night everyone!

Best,

Absolut

Solution
This is what I have found by the model you mentioned:
  • Intel Core i7-6700 Quad-Core processor (3.40GHz)
  • 16GB DDR3L SDRAM memory
  • 2TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner; Intel Integrated 530 Graphic
I assume the GTX745 was added later.

The inexpensive card popular choice today is GTX1660. I can’t tell if the existing power supply is sufficient to power the card.
Hi,
Sorry, I can’t tell what would cause this issue. It might be a defective cable for example...

But I can surely tell that there is a very little sense in providing this card with 165Hz monitor. It is far too weak for running high fps games or videos. HDMI should be more than enough. There is a cable for connecting HDMI monitor to DVI-D port.

Reactions: Absolutmexa
Apr 20, 2020
Hi,
Sorry, I can’t tell what would cause this issue. It might be a defective cable for example...

But I can surely tell that there is a very little sense in providing this card with 165Hz monitor. It is far too weak for running high fps games or videos. HDMI should be more than enough. There is a cable for connecting HDMI monitor to DVI-D port.

vov,

Thanks for the input! I figured the card would be too weak. I got the monitor for work as it was 27 inches and I figured I could get a new pre-built tower at some point.

It was more of a case of being able to do so with the cable but getting some odd error code/beep when doing so. If I were to game it would be Counter Strike for a few games and I wanted to feel out the 165hz for the hour or so I could game during the day.

Any ideas on what card I could easily drop in this system>? Let me know what info you need on my current system.

Thanks!

The inexpensive card popular choice today is GTX1660. I can’t tell if the existing power supply is sufficient to power the card.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020

Yes, the card was added in later. I will check on that GTX1660 to see how it can probably perform.