[SOLVED] Bios (Blue Menu) not showing upon start up

droborja

Prominent
Nov 8, 2019
Hey guys, my friend asked me to reformat her laptop. I have the bootable usb stick ready. However, when I try to access the BIOS, it only takes me to windows boot manager, where it only shows the OS that's already installed on the laptop and not the bootable usb that's plugged in.

Her laptop is an Eee PC ASUS x101ch. I'm starting to think that it's because of the chipset, however, even older devices are able to run the blue screen BIOS and change the boot sequence from there. I'm really new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(I've been searching answers to this problem the whole day and I have no luck.)

Solution
To enter the the bios in an Asus laptop, you need to hold down the f2 button before you power up and hold the f2 button down when you press the power button and keep it pressed down until you get to the bios screen. I'm also curious if you have tested the USB as bootable as the boot menu (Esc button?) should have showed the USB if it a bootable drive.
To enter the the bios in an Asus laptop, you need to hold down the f2 button before you power up and hold the f2 button down when you press the power button and keep it pressed down until you get to the bios screen. I'm also curious if you have tested the USB as bootable as the boot menu (Esc button?) should have showed the USB if it a bootable drive.

Solution

droborja

Prominent
Nov 8, 2019

Thanks for your reply. However, whenever I boot up, it takes me to windows boot manager immediately which makes pressing ESC not possible.

I tried this on cmd "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no" but then it just goes straight to windows logo.

EDIT: Also, F2 only brings up the windows boot manager where the plugged in bootable USB isn't showing up. Now it just runs windows boot manager right after booting up. I can't seem to access the bios no matter what key I press.

Last edited:
I have viewed numerous videos regarding your computer model and everyone shows esc to the boot menu and f2 to the BIOS. Does you computer show a post screen when it boots. Have you tried entering the BIOS without the USB plugged in?

You may want to try a different usb port and or a different bootable usb. As far as pushing any button being impossible, you can surely start your PC while holding down any button, while keeping the button held down as the PC boots.

Last edited:

droborja

Prominent
Nov 8, 2019
Just an update on this.

Wiping the hard drive did the trick, removing everything and the existing OS. It no longer detected the existing OS and the bootable usb was detected.