[SOLVED] Bios/Boot issue with ASUS TUF x570 Gaming ?

stakkerno1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi Guys,

System Specs

ASUS TUF GAMING x570 PLUS
AMD 5800x with Corsair h100i RGB Pro XT
MSI GTX 980 TI Seahawk
Corsair Veangance RGB Pro Black DDR4 3600 C18 Ryzen Optimized (2x16GB)
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB M.2 PCIE4 (System Drive)
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SATA 3 (Gaming Drive)
WD Blue 4TB (Storage Drive)
Corsair TX850M PSU

So where to begin, I bought this system at end of January 2021. I was using a skylake 6700k system and the PSU and CPU cooler died shortly after moving house. So after looking at replacements I decided if I was having to spend money I might as well upgrade CPU, Motherboard, RAM and PCIE4 SSD as well. So after building the new system everything was working fine for the first 2- 3 months no issues at all other than the bios deafault options meant that when gaming my CPU was drawing 1.45V and hitting 60c plus which I thought seemed a little high! So I decided to do a lower all core clock to reduce the CPU voltage draw and lower the temps under stress. Set it to 4.2 and hey presto voltage was drawing around1.2V when gaming and temps were staying around 40c.

This seemed fine for a couple of months then I had an issue one day upon trying to boot the system up where it went through the LED post checks on motherboard but then wouldnt load windows just hanged on the post screen doing nothing. No error lights on motherboard, no beeping, all fans going, everything looking as normal but would not allow me to press DEL or F2 to enter bios, but pressing CTRL ALT + DEL would reset the system and same thing would happen. So to fix this I had to switch system fully off and disconnect PSU and reset the CMOS shorting the 2 pins on the mobo. This worked and allowed me to get back in, via the red error screen about bios settings changed press F1 to enter bios, and adjust the bios settings and then save and restart and the system would boot. This seemed to be fine for a few weeks then same thing again happened. So repeated the process to get back into bios and adjust settings then save and system would boot. This worked for maybe a week then same issue again would go through post checks, no error lights no bleeps, just refusing to start loading windows and again not allowing me to enter bios unless I cleared CMOS using the motherboard jumpers. The CPU and motherboard came as a package so the bios on the motherboard was flashed to version 2802. I flashed it to the latest version 4021 to see if this fixed it and no luck.

Throughout all this when system does boot, it runs perfectly, temps are good no errors anywhere no lagging when loading games or browsing internet. I can do long gaming sessions with no crashes nothing, except an issue with a server exception error when in FanXpert section of ASUS AI suite, this could be bypassed by going back to another options section after loading a fan profile which I use 2 profiles, 1 for quiet fans and the second for gaming. Now I had checked about this FanXpert error and it seemed ASUS was making changes to something in AI suite that caused this issue, it was also to do with the Armoury crate software which was causing some peeps issues but I dont use that anyways.

So back to the boot problem, after checking to see if it was possible my motherboard drivers were causing some weird issue on shutdown, and finding most info saying that windows drivers and motherboard drivers would not cause issues with posting or getting into bios I thought is it my windows install thats dodgy and its just not starting to load windows due to a corrupted boot file or something along those lines. So I decided to do a reinstall of windows and disconnected my drives except my system drive and after clearing my system drive I went into bios to change boot settings to flash drive upon which I noticed in the advanced options page where the ftmp setting is I had 2 bios options appear that had not been showing which was very strange. So I reinstalled windows and so on and the system has been working fine for the past 3 or 4 weeks no issues until today and bang exact same thing again. After getting into bios I also noticed that the options that suddenly appeared have now went missing again in the bios under the advanced tab.

The following link is manual for the bios and if you scroll down to the advanced options (page 24) it shows just the AMD fTMP option at top. I had another option above that but cant quite remember what it was called (trusted something something if I remember correctly) and this option has now dissapeared again just as this issue started again!

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

Now another couple of things to note - upon clearing CMOS upon first boot it would go through the post check sequence twice and 2nd time around the DRAM led would stay on a bit longer then eventually it would pass and go to green but windows wouldnt start loading, I assume this is just the motherboard retraining the RAM. I have also tried runnign system with my older DDR4 3200 C16 corsair dominator (2x8GB) that I had paired with my Skylake system and same issue! I have also managed to boot the system with both sets of ram installed but running on the older 3200mghz RAM timings of C16 runs perfect when it does load windows, but eventually, the hanging after the post checks issue happens, and same nightmare of resetting CMOS to get into bios.

Also my WD Blue storage drive is possibly dying according to crystaldisk which is showing cuation due to bad sector count or unreadable secotr counts both of which are highlighted in yellow on the information side when crystaldisk is open. The older M.2 drive I used for my Skylake system drive was also installed as I had some stuff I wanted to transfer over, and when I was checking to see if it was some sort of issue with a connected drive maybe casuing the system to not start booting my newer PCIE 4 drive would not boot windows without the older m.2 drive connected. Not sure if this is relevant as such but I am trying to provide as much info as possible.

So is it possible I have a faulty bios or motherboard, or is it my SSD thats faulty as its doing the post checks fine but then just hangs and doesnt boot windows and it seems drive issues can stop you from getting into BIOS as well from what I have been reading? As far s I can tell my WD HDD isnt causing the issue although its dying, and if there was an issue with system or gaming SSD's that would be more noticable during day to day running where, as also mentioned earlier, when system does eventually loads windows it runs perfect!

Also just noticed that my ASUS DVD drive is saying its not working properly when I clicked the hardware tab after going into properties options on my system SSD can this cause issues with system booting? As mentioned earlier the option in the bios that keeps dissapearing that should be above the AMD fTMP option under the advanced tab, could that be an indication of faulty board or is it some weird fTMP issue thats stopping windows from booting after post checks?

Apologies for the long post I have tried to cover as much info about my system as possible hopefully someone will maybe be able to shed some light on what the hell is going on.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to someone coming up with an asnwer as I am completely stumped!!!

Update: I have since worked out it is indeed a boot issue as the yellow/green boot led was staying on. I somehow kept mistaking it as a power led but noticed it did go out when it finally booted and after double checking my motherboard manual (yes yes I know I am an idiot). So do I somehow have a BIOS setting causing boot issue or is it possible my PCIE4 Samsung 980 PRO SSD is faulty?

Crystaldisk shows the SSD as being 99% working and in good order so I must assume something is not quite right with my BIOS settings. Any ideas? I currently run Windows 10 64-bit updated to the latest version.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

BIOS is the latest version as I flashed it to see if that might fix the issue. I have since found out the option in the bios that kept dissapearing is the Trusted Computing menu with all the sub options. And this primarily has to do with the Trusted Platfrom Module so think theres an issue with the TPM on my 5800x or its the TPM files stored on windows that keep corrupting and they then need deleted for the issue to be fixed. Thats what I found out after a quick goole search so far, will research some more in depth and see what I can find out. Anyone with any further knowledge on this particular issue please feel free to educate me.

Thanks in advance!
After you flashed the bios to the latest, you could uninstall the Secure...
Hi Guys,

System Specs

ASUS TUF GAMING x570 PLUS
AMD 5800x with Corsair h100i RGB Pro XT
MSI GTX 980 TI Seahawk
Corsair Veangance RGB Pro Black DDR4 3600 C18 Ryzen Optimized (2x16GB)
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB M.2 PCIE4 (System Drive)
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SATA 3 (Gaming Drive)
WD Blue 4TB (Storage Drive)
Corsair TX850M PSU

So where to begin, I bought this system at end of January 2021. I was using a skylake 6700k system and the PSU and CPU cooler died shortly after moving house. So after looking at replacements I decided if I was having to spend money I might as well upgrade CPU, Motherboard, RAM and PCIE4 SSD as well. So after building the new system everything was working fine for the first 2- 3 months no issues at all other than the bios deafault options meant that when gaming my CPU was drawing 1.45V and hitting 60c plus which I thought seemed a little high! So I decided to do a lower all core clock to reduce the CPU voltage draw and lower the temps under stress. Set it to 4.2 and hey presto voltage was drawing around1.2V when gaming and temps were staying around 40c.

This seemed fine for a couple of months then I had an issue one day upon trying to boot the system up where it went through the LED post checks on motherboard but then wouldnt load windows just hanged on the post screen doing nothing. No error lights on motherboard, no beeping, all fans going, everything looking as normal but would not allow me to press DEL or F2 to enter bios, but pressing CTRL ALT + DEL would reset the system and same thing would happen. So to fix this I had to switch system fully off and disconnect PSU and reset the CMOS shorting the 2 pins on the mobo. This worked and allowed me to get back in, via the red error screen about bios settings changed press F1 to enter bios, and adjust the bios settings and then save and restart and the system would boot. This seemed to be fine for a few weeks then same thing again happened. So repeated the process to get back into bios and adjust settings then save and system would boot. This worked for maybe a week then same issue again would go through post checks, no error lights no bleeps, just refusing to start loading windows and again not allowing me to enter bios unless I cleared CMOS using the motherboard jumpers. The CPU and motherboard came as a package so the bios on the motherboard was flashed to version 2802. I flashed it to the latest version 4021 to see if this fixed it and no luck.

Throughout all this when system does boot, it runs perfectly, temps are good no errors anywhere no lagging when loading games or browsing internet. I can do long gaming sessions with no crashes nothing, except an issue with a server exception error when in FanXpert section of ASUS AI suite, this could be bypassed by going back to another options section after loading a fan profile which I use 2 profiles, 1 for quiet fans and the second for gaming. Now I had checked about this FanXpert error and it seemed ASUS was making changes to something in AI suite that caused this issue, it was also to do with the Armoury crate software which was causing some peeps issues but I dont use that anyways.

So back to the boot problem, after checking to see if it was possible my motherboard drivers were causing some weird issue on shutdown, and finding most info saying that windows drivers and motherboard drivers would not cause issues with posting or getting into bios I thought is it my windows install thats dodgy and its just not starting to load windows due to a corrupted boot file or something along those lines. So I decided to do a reinstall of windows and disconnected my drives except my system drive and after clearing my system drive I went into bios to change boot settings to flash drive upon which I noticed in the advanced options page where the ftmp setting is I had 2 bios options appear that had not been showing which was very strange. So I reinstalled windows and so on and the system has been working fine for the past 3 or 4 weeks no issues until today and bang exact same thing again. After getting into bios I also noticed that the options that suddenly appeared have now went missing again in the bios under the advanced tab.

The following link is manual for the bios and if you scroll down to the advanced options (page 24) it shows just the AMD fTMP option at top. I had another option above that but cant quite remember what it was called (trusted something something if I remember correctly) and this option has now dissapeared again just as this issue started again!

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

Now another couple of things to note - upon clearing CMOS upon first boot it would go through the post check sequence twice and 2nd time around the DRAM led would stay on a bit longer then eventually it would pass and go to green but windows wouldnt start loading, I assume this is just the motherboard retraining the RAM. I have also tried runnign system with my older DDR4 3200 C16 corsair dominator (2x8GB) that I had paired with my Skylake system and same issue! I have also managed to boot the system with both sets of ram installed but running on the older 3200mghz RAM timings of C16 runs perfect when it does load windows, but eventually, the hanging after the post checks issue happens, and same nightmare of resetting CMOS to get into bios.

Also my WD Blue storage drive is possibly dying according to crystaldisk which is showing cuation due to bad sector count or unreadable secotr counts both of which are highlighted in yellow on the information side when crystaldisk is open. The older M.2 drive I used for my Skylake system drive was also installed as I had some stuff I wanted to transfer over, and when I was checking to see if it was some sort of issue with a connected drive maybe casuing the system to not start booting my newer PCIE 4 drive would not boot windows without the older m.2 drive connected. Not sure if this is relevant as such but I am trying to provide as much info as possible.

So is it possible I have a faulty bios or motherboard, or is it my SSD thats faulty as its doing the post checks fine but then just hangs and doesnt boot windows and it seems drive issues can stop you from getting into BIOS as well from what I have been reading? As far s I can tell my WD HDD isnt causing the issue although its dying, and if there was an issue with system or gaming SSD's that would be more noticable during day to day running where, as also mentioned earlier, when system does eventually loads windows it runs perfect!

Also just noticed that my ASUS DVD drive is saying its not working properly when I clicked the hardware tab after going into properties options on my system SSD can this cause issues with system booting? As mentioned earlier the option in the bios that keeps dissapearing that should be above the AMD fTMP option under the advanced tab, could that be an indication of faulty board or is it some weird fTMP issue thats stopping windows from booting after post checks?

Apologies for the long post I have tried to cover as much info about my system as possible hopefully someone will maybe be able to shed some light on what the hell is going on.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to someone coming up with an asnwer as I am completely stumped!!!

Update: I have since worked out it is indeed a boot issue as the yellow/green boot led was staying on. I somehow kept mistaking it as a power led but noticed it did go out when it finally booted and after double checking my motherboard manual (yes yes I know I am an idiot). So do I somehow have a BIOS setting causing boot issue or is it possible my PCIE4 Samsung 980 PRO SSD is faulty?

Crystaldisk shows the SSD as being 99% working and in good order so I must assume something is not quite right with my BIOS settings. Any ideas? I currently run Windows 10 64-bit updated to the latest version.
was the bios updated to the latest?

stakkerno1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
was the bios updated to the latest?

Hi,

BIOS is the latest version as I flashed it to see if that might fix the issue. I have since found out the option in the bios that kept dissapearing is the Trusted Computing menu with all the sub options. And this primarily has to do with the Trusted Platfrom Module so think theres an issue with the TPM on my 5800x or its the TPM files stored on windows that keep corrupting and they then need deleted for the issue to be fixed. Thats what I found out after a quick goole search so far, will research some more in depth and see what I can find out. Anyone with any further knowledge on this particular issue please feel free to educate me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
After you flashed the bios to the latest, you could uninstall the Secure boot keys in the option and leaving it on Setup or the keys is uninstalled, then disable amd ftpm, save and exit, boot to windows, then go to bios again, load optimized defaults, turn on xmp, turn off the csm option, then install the secure boot keys again, and enable the amd ftpm again, save and exit and boot to windows. maybe that could help :D Also dont forget to update to the latest amd chipset driver.

if the problem still occurs you could try by turning down the pcie lane to 3.0 for the ssd.

Solution