Bios cannot recognize linux usb drive

warus

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi. My bios cannot recognize any linux distro from a flash drive. It just doesen't shows in boot priority section. Already tried with YUMI, LILI, Rufus and Unetbootin. Usb drives are okey. They boot on a friend's pc which have newer bios. My bios options are okey too. I boot windows installations and boot loaders from usb.

Everything is weird cuz i already installed a bunch of ubuntus 12.04 and 13.10 and even mint 17 from usb last year. Don't know what really changed since then. Tried even older verions and it's the same <mod edit>.

945G-M3
P4 3.2Ghz
GT 240

Thats my pc specifications. Couldn't think of anything possible yet, im out of ides what could be the problem. And since my DVD ROM is broken i really want to know what i'm missing here. Thanks.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012

He said that he has booted windows from USB.

Have you looked for the USB drive in the "hard disk priority" section? Sometimes it sees the USB as a hard disk.

warus

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Actually was the file system. I reformat in NTFS and everything went smooth. I was fooled from some sources of information that said the usb has to be formated in FAT32. And i still can't believe how newer MB can boot fat32 and the old one only boots from NTFS, it will remain mystery. Thanks for the answers.