Question Bios changes reset after pc shutdown.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hi, I have an asus Z97 pro gamer, with m.2 ssd. But default settings ignore the ssd, so I have to change it in the bios. But everytime I shut down the pc, next time I have to change the bios setting again. Which is kinda annoying. Is there any way to fix that? Im afraid to reset cmos, because I have no experience with updating the bios.
Specs:
Gtx 1650
32gb ddr3
I7-4790
256gb m.2 ssd+wd green 1tb
Ps:
I dont have a case so I manually start my pc up with a screwdriver

Hey there,

Did you install the OS to the new m2 drive? Did you disconnect the old one, or other one if you did install the OS to the new drive?

Chances are the MBR (Master Boot record) is on the other/another drive, which is why it's not seeing the ssd at boot.

You will need to reinstall windows to the SSD, but disconnecting the other drives before you do the install.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hey there,

Did you install the OS to the new m2 drive? Did you disconnect the old one, or other one if you did install the OS to the new drive?

Chances are the MBR (Master Boot record) is on the other/another drive, which is why it's not seeing the ssd at boot.

You will need to reinstall windows to the SSD, but disconnecting the other drives before you do the install.
The os comes from a used dell optiplex 3070 m.2 ssd. I installed windows 10 on it with that device but because I wanted to switch to dedicated graphics I replaced the whole pc except the ssd. I needed more storage so I later added a 1tb hdd. Is there any solution where I dont need to reinstall windows? I have a lot of files and crap WiFi. So itd be a weeks work to download everything again.

The os comes from a used dell optiplex 3070 m.2 ssd. I installed windows 10 on it with that device but because I wanted to switch to dedicated graphics I replaced the whole pc except the ssd. I needed more storage so I later added a 1tb hdd. Is there any solution where I dont need to reinstall windows? I have a lot of files and crap WiFi. So itd be a weeks work to download everything again.

Ah, okay. Therein lies the issue. You needed to do a fresh install of the OS when moving from one machine to the next. All the old system drivers will still be there causing all sorts of issues and incompatibility.

You can try something like this: Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows 10, 11, XP, Vista, 7, 8 (neosmart.net) to see if you can rebuild the MBR and have the right drive start. However, I would advise a clean install to begin with. I know it's a pain to download software/games/apps all over again, but that just gets into the world of having back up data, or separating your boot drive from other drives.

I know you know this already, but whilst it's okay to run an open system for benching, if you ware swapping parts out a lot is a thing, but to run it as your daily PC is not such a good idea. The dust build up will be crazy and not good for a PC system.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Ah, okay. Therein lies the issue. You needed to do a fresh install of the OS when moving from one machine to the next. All the old system drivers will still be there causing all sorts of issues and incompatibility.

You can try something like this: Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows 10, 11, XP, Vista, 7, 8 (neosmart.net) to see if you can rebuild the MBR and have the right drive start. However, I would advise a clean install to begin with. I know it's a pain to download software/games/apps all over again, but that just gets into the world of having back up data, or separating your boot drive from other drives.

I know you know this already, but whilst it's okay to run an open system for benching, if you ware swapping parts out a lot is a thing, but to run it as your daily PC is not such a good idea. The dust build up will be crazy and not good for a PC system.
Are u sure thats the problem and will that solve my problem with changes in the bios? If I really have to wipe it ill do it, but one last thing. I also have a wifi problem, my wifi adapter just ramdomly doesnt work. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. It probably isnt a driver issue because theyre up to date and theyre also not faulty. Ive used them multiple times in another build. Also, ive transfered the ssd to an asrock Z97 pro4 before the asus mobo. And there was no issue, bios changes saved and I also turbo clocked my i5-4670 (which I then used) wifi also wasnt a problem and the time was set correctly. I forgot to tell u but also the time in the bios doesnt save when using the asus mobo. When I googled it, it could be the cmos battery, could it be?

About the setup, im saving up money for a case. Didnt have a high enough budget so I just didnt buy one. On the long run dust will be a problem, but I dont intend to run it without a case for long.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Why would replacing the battery require a bios update? While replacing the battery will reset bios settings to default it does not change the bios version.
Really? I was so scared it would reset the version, so it just resets the changes? Then I will do that thank you. Will report back in a min

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I'd be a giant pain if a bios went back to the original version when the battery died or was replaced.
Omgg, it worked. I cant thank you enough. Wow, what a relieve. I thought I would have to update my whole bios again, theres only one problem left then, my WiFi adapter. At the moment its working but sometimes it just doesnt work, maybe it is a failing adapter? If so, I had my eyes on this wifi adapter: RC choice wifi and bluetooth USB adapter max 600mbps with 2.4 and 5.0 ghz

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Ah, okay. This helps. AS advised from @bignastyid reset CMOS and then go from there. I suspect you'll still have the same issue of it's boot related.

Let us know.
Omgg, it worked. I cant thank you enough. Wow, what a relieve. I thought I would have to update my whole bios again, theres only one problem left then, my WiFi adapter. At the moment its working but sometimes it just doesnt work, maybe it is a failing adapter? If so, I had my eyes on this wifi adapter: RC choice wifi and bluetooth USB adapter max 600mbps with 2.4 and 5.0 ghz

So given the cmos clear worked, but it didn't keep the changes, that suggests to me the battery needs replacing. Once done, the bios should retain your settings.

Regarding the WIFI adaptor. Are you sure the driver for this is up to date?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
So given the cmos clear worked, but it didn't keep the changes, that suggests to me the battery needs replacing. Once done, the bios should retain your settings.

Windows says they are, im not 100% sure. I have already replaced the battery, but it didnt work.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

Maybe this information can help?
- I cant connect multiple monitors for some reason, if I use the mobo I cant use the gtx 1650 and the other way around. And I also cant get two or more monitors connected to only the gtx 1650. I can, but after some time the screen
freezes.
- It also always takes two attemps to turn on the pc, I have no idea why. First time using the screwdriver does nothing, second time after I put the power off and on again it does boot.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
You did use a new battery, right? So the time and everything got reset or just the boot order? Also since you currently have no case what is the motherboard sitting on?
Maybe this information can help?

- I cant connect multiple monitors for some reason, if I use the mobo I cant use the gtx 1650 and the other way around. And I also cant get two or more monitors connected to only the gtx 1650. I can, but after some time the screen freezes.

- It also always takes two attemps to turn on the pc, I have no idea why. First time using the screwdriver does nothing, second time after I put the power off and on again it does boot.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
So it's sitting on a conductive surface. Put it on something non conductive like a piece of wood or cardboard. Do not use an anti-static bag as those can be conductive.
Oh ok, will putting it on the desktop but with cardboard underneath also be good? My room is full of pc parts and the top of my desktop is the only space I have haha

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
So it's sitting on a conductive surface. Put it on something non conductive like a piece of wood or cardboard. Do not use an anti-static bag as those can be conductive.
I couldnt find cardboard so I used a sort of thick paper/thin cardboard instead. The problem didnt get solved. I did some testing and came to the conclusion that the settings only reset when I completely turn off the pc, so turn the psu switch off. If I just boot into windows and press shut down. The leds will still be on and the bios settings wont change when I turn it on with a screwdriver again. Maybe this is a case problem? That my settings just reset when I jump start it. Or maybe im accidently pressing the reset pin. Or is this just a faulty mobo/bios?