bios chip location

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
ok thanks ill look around there. its not in a socket its soldered to the board, and there are no chips with any hologram stickers.

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
well i guess thats it, i just thought it was a little bigger, and would have the company name on it.

randomizer

Champion
It would have the name of the manufacturer of the BIOS, which is usually Award, AMI or Phoenix (and maybe the manufacturer of the chip itself such as Winbond). The mobo manufacturer doesn't make the BIOS chip, they are quite generic.

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
yes, i know asus uses american megatrade(AMI)bios. its just according to the motherboard manual, where it says the chip is. its a smaller one than what ive seen, and it only had 8 prong/legs on it and i know the 2 bios chip types are DIP and Plcc. and it doesn't look like either of those. its just kinda throwing me off

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
16 Mbit SPI Serial Flash:
SST's 25 series Serial Flash family features a four-wire, SPI-compatible interface that allows for a low pin-count package which occupies less board space and ultimately lowers total system costs. The SST25VF016B devices are enhanced with improved operating frequency and even lower power consumption than the original SST25VFxxxA devices. SST25VF016B SPI serial flash memories are manufactured with SST's proprietary, high-performance CMOS SuperFlash technology. The split-gate cell design and thick-oxide tunneling injector attain better reliability and manufacturability compared with alternate approaches. The SST25VF016B devices significantly improve performance and reliability, while lowering power consumption. The devices write (Program or Erase) with a single power supply of 2.7-3.6V for SST25VF016B. The total energy consumed is a function of the applied voltage, current, and time of application. Since for any given voltage range, the SuperFlash technology uses less current to program and has a shorter erase time, the total energy consumed during any Erase or Program operation is less than alternative flash memory technologies. The SST25VF016B device is offered in both 8-lead SOIC (200 mils) and 8-contact WSON (6mm x 5mm) packages.

Yeah that looks like the one....

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
hmmm, you'll need someone with surface mount soldering equipment, I think attempting that with normal soldering tools will end up in a bit of a mess..... Cant you just RMA mobo?

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
no i can't. got it as a present, and they got if off ebay.so rma is not possible. figured replacing the chip would be cheaper than having to buy another board