[SOLVED] BIOS chip not working , replacement?

Jun 19, 2021
I was updating the bios on my Hp envy notebook 17s143cl laptop, but the power went off, now it can turn on but the screen remains black, I tooked to a technician and he said that I had burnt my BIOS chip, and that I need to replace it, my question is, can I put any hp bios chip? Or do I need a specific one for my laptop?

Solution
Sort of a side story to get to the point:

I watch a YouTube channel for a guy called Northridge Fix. He is a repair shop based in NY or Jersey IIRC, but he does great videos on the troubleshooting and repair of various electronics. He has a recent video, yesterday I think, where he is discussing an HP laptop of a type that he repairs daily by his own account. He states that HP doesn't have any spec drawings or parts specifically available to them, but because he sees so many of them that he has spares on hand for others.

I say that to suggest that you see if the fellow you took it to offers repair, or might be worthwhile to check with other repair shops in the area, and/or following up with HP themselves for possible in or out of...
I was updating the bios on my Hp envy notebook 17s143cl laptop, but the power went off, now it can turn on but the screen remains black, I tooked to a technician and he said that I had burnt my BIOS chip, and that I need to replace it, my question is, can I put any hp bios chip? Or do I need a specific one for my laptop?
Bricked maybe but burnt unlikely, needs a specific procedure o re-flash it. If it has to be changed, it has to be for specific laptop.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Sort of a side story to get to the point:

I watch a YouTube channel for a guy called Northridge Fix. He is a repair shop based in NY or Jersey IIRC, but he does great videos on the troubleshooting and repair of various electronics. He has a recent video, yesterday I think, where he is discussing an HP laptop of a type that he repairs daily by his own account. He states that HP doesn't have any spec drawings or parts specifically available to them, but because he sees so many of them that he has spares on hand for others.

I say that to suggest that you see if the fellow you took it to offers repair, or might be worthwhile to check with other repair shops in the area, and/or following up with HP themselves for possible in or out of warranty repair offered.

Solution