[SOLVED] BIOS crashes, Periphals turn off, mother board, fans and lights stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2019
Asus Tuf Gaming (Wi-Fi) X570-PLUS
Ryzen 3600
GSkill RGB Ram 2x8 - F4-3600C17D-16GTZR
GTX 1070
M.2 and SSD
Corsair RM 650
BIOS is using Version 1005

All water cooled, 30 to 35C on idle, 60 to 66C load with cinebench20
Built this PC about three weeks ago. It ran fine for roughly a week.
Started to get a BSOD, Structure_Failure
Red light comes on. Manual says it’s CPU.
Slightly un-tighten the water block, fine for almost another week.
Used SFC /scannow, no more BSOD.
Now, all my peripherals shut off, screen is wither frozen or black, and the whole system stays running.
This usually happens when I leave the computer on overnight. (Not true anymore, it's random)
Can’t use the power button, but can use the restart button.

Re seated the CPU, last for a few days. Now the crash is becoming more frequent. At one point it was stuck on the VGA light, but then that never popped up again. Same with RAM. It even crashes in the BIOS.
Stuck on red light for CPU. So my though is either hair line fracture in the motherboard causing instability. A bad CPU or a bad PSU. Unfortunately, I cannot just replace things.
As of typing this, I am sitting in the BIOS awaiting for it crash to confirm it will do it again. But, when it crashes I just untighten the water block more and it comes back up. It is not tight, there are ecen springs inside the nuts to prevent that.
Re-seated the RAM, GPU and CPU. BIOS led is 99% of the time on the CPU indicator.

I don’t know what to do.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you for the welcome.
No bent pins, and I did not see any discoloration or bulging capacitors.
Long shot but would also make sure there are no shorts anywhere and ensure the MB is installed appropriately on the standoffs.

Following that point, being as your are crashing in the BIOS, you likely have a hardware or original firmware problem, have you tried updating the BIOS at all? Wondering if a corrupt BIOS is the culprit.

Following that I would personally be swapping the MB.

Sep 7, 2019
Yes, I at one point took the cmos battery out. Still had the problem, then flashed the bios up to version 1005 which I believe is the latest. I also updated the chip set, but I do not recall if that was before or after I started to see problems.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, I at one point took the cmos battery out. Still had the problem, then flashed the bios up to version 1005 which I believe is the latest. I also updated the chip set, but I do not recall if that was before or after I started to see problems.
I'd be tempted to reflash the BIOS if you are able, I'm wondering if a BIOS flash potentially became corrupt.
But if it crashes during then obviously it may get worse. Which if the MB is at fault, won't make a real difference being as it will need to be RMA'd anyway.

Sep 7, 2019
Good morning in EST,

To update, I was able to play a game then entire night. However, when I woke up in the morning and started to browse the internet. Nothing else open, just a browser. It just stopped. The screen was frozen on whatever last frame it was on, all my usb ports stopped working. The computer was still running, no changes in fan speed, RGB on RAM wasn't affected nor was my RGB strips. That i know of, I'll play closer attention next time. Could only use the restart button to restart it, the power button would not shut if off.

Status
Not open for further replies.