Question BIOS detects M.2 NVMe SSD but Windows/Linux don't

Feb 27, 2022
Mobo: Asus ROG B550-f gaming wifi
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
SSD: Gammix S70 Blade 1TB (M.2 Gen 4 NVMe ssd)
HDD: Old laptop HDD

I purchased a built PC from a friend yesterday and Windows was working. He then reset the computer using Windows cloud, and disconnected the power cord after the windows registration screen came up. When I got the PC home, I went into BIOS, made no changes (XMP was already enabled, and the SSD was the #1 boot device), and did an F10 to save/exit. When the computer reset and booted to the SSD (although it might have booted to the HDD, please read clue #1), I got a "No OS detected" error. I put a Win10 onto a usb3 stick (it's an older/beat up usb stick fwiw) using the media creation tool and attempted to install windows to the SSD. Once I made it to the storage device selection, only the HDD was shown as an option, despite the BIOS detecting the SSD.

Since then, I have tried:
  • Disconnected HDD, disabled CMS, cleared secure boot keys etc following @Calvin7's instructions here
  • Disabled fast boot
  • BIOS settings reset
  • BIOS update to newest non-beta version
  • CMOS reset
  • Verified that it's in the Gen4 M2 slot (M2_1), and also reseated to the M2_2 slot just in case
  • Verified Diskpart does not see the SSD in the Windows installer
  • Installed the r/techsupport Debian instance onto a usb, and attempted to detect the drive using GParted, the NVME CLI, and disklist - none detected the ssd
Some clues I have noticed:
  • The SSD is ONLY detected in BIOS when I do a power-button reset of the computer. Whenever I do a software reset (F10 through BIOS or through linux), the SSD is not detected in BIOS.
  • I very sporadically get the error "nvme nvme0: Device not ready: aborting reset" when booting up the Debian instance. There is no other mention of the drive beyond that.
I know this is a very common question on these forums, but I have spent 2 days going through the other posts on this subject and haven't had any luck with the fixes in those posts. I'm wondering if something went wrong when we disconnected the power cord at the beginning of the windows registration. Thanks for any help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen resets remove the OS before, its one of their hidden features. You wanted a full reset? ok, I just take everything off... oh, you wanted windows back... too late.

Sounds to me like the drive is dead, or really close.
I would check if drive works in another PC.