Bios detects SSD but Windows 7 does not

katagasm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
So this morning my computer was working and I went downstairs to grab something, came upstairs to find that it was off. When i turned it back on my computer ressponded with the "An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration" problem. I popped in my installation disc to see if maybe I can repair it or even if all else failed just reformat and reinstall. Well when I get windows won't even reconize my operating system or the SSD/HDD that I have in there. I've wandered through the forums trying to find a solution and I can't seem to find a solution. Bios detects both SDD/HDD in Bios configuration but when I go to windows repair/install it doesn't even recognize them as being there. I've tried unplugging all other drives except the SSD (the SSD being the one with windows installed on it). I've tried moving around around SATA cables too. I'm still a student so I'm not the well of knowledge I need to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

File: \Boot\BCD

Status 0x0000001

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuation.

I'm running Windows 7 professional - Service Pack 1

My drives are:

Adata SSD S510 120gb
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB

Solution
Sounds like to me that your SSD or SATA controller just gave up the ghost. Since the computer is new, I guess it could be the motherboard SATA controller, or the driver for the controller.

If you have other SATA controllers available on the motherboard, go to the BIOS settings, and set all of them to Emulate IDE, or Compatibility, or something with IDE mode in it. Then see if you can pick up any drives in the windows 7 installer. If you still can't, I think your motherboard needs to be replaced.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Sounds like to me that your SSD or SATA controller just gave up the ghost. Since the computer is new, I guess it could be the motherboard SATA controller, or the driver for the controller.

If you have other SATA controllers available on the motherboard, go to the BIOS settings, and set all of them to Emulate IDE, or Compatibility, or something with IDE mode in it. Then see if you can pick up any drives in the windows 7 installer. If you still can't, I think your motherboard needs to be replaced.

Solution
I had a similar issue with a Windows XP computer and the problem was aa loose sata cable on the hard drive so since you say you have switched sata cables then try checking the both ends to make sure that both ends are securely connected.
Also check the boot sequence to make sure that the SSD is stil listed as the first boot device. These are the easy things to check and will cost no money if it is one of these so it's woth a shot to recheck. Ohterwise you could be looking at the cost of replacing something.

katagasm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Well small progress there. I switched modes from AHCI to IDE. Of course the only detected after that point were the two cables that worked with IDE, but nonetheless I got a reading on the SSD with Windows. I don't get any signs in windows repair but the drive now shows up in windows install. If all else fails I guess I can reinstall windows.

However, if I can sucessfully reinstall, what can I do to prevent it from happening again or is the problem not even solved? I dont exactly know what you mean when you say "gave up the ghost".

katagasm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Actually that was one of the first things I checked. I just now did a double check and everything is secure. Also the DVD-ROM was set to priority boot #1 but I changed it to the SSD and still recieved the same error.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I originally meant that your SATA controllers on the motherboard maybe dying. It COULD also be your SSD. To make sure, try another hard drive, or SSD if you have a spare to swap with.

If you can reinstall on another drive (SSD or HDD), then it would mean that your SSD was dying (not uncommon). If you can't reinstall at all with ANY SSD or HDD, it means your SATA controllers are dying (motherboard problem, also common). There is nothing you can do as a user to prevent these types of failures. However, warranty covers these problems. Hardware failures are very common.

katagasm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

I see what your saying. Thanks for all the help so far you've been huge help. I'm goin' to try all that to see what's dying. I'll update results.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No problem. Let us know what is causing the problems after you test things.

katagasm

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Sorry for the late response, but the computer has been running fine for the last week or so without issue. I had to entirely reinstall windows and decided to stop using the top two SATA controllers and that seemed to do the trick. Let's hope that it was just the port going bad and nothing else. I also switched out all of my AHCI for IDE cables. Not sure if it made the difference but it all seems to be running fine. THanks for all your help guys.