[SOLVED] BIOS detects storage devices but does not show anything detected in boot priorities ?

Mar 27, 2022
So, just got a new motherboard/CPU combo and having trouble. Takes about 5 minutes from POST to BIOS, no idea why. Nothing shows on monitor until BIOS appears. When it finally does appear, I cannot select any storage devices even though everything is listed in storage devices(nothing is listed in boot priorities). If I exit BIOS, it resets and I get another 5 minute wait until BIOS with the same problem.

There was a disturbing amount of damage on the motherboard packaging when I received it(not the shipping box but the actual motherboard box) but the only visible damage I could find was the backplate had bent slightly outward(not enough to hinder using ports).

Called ASUS and they had me try unplugging all but one SSD. No change. The guy I talked to seemed to think some damage may be the problem. Just figured I’d post here first in case someone has another idea.
Specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mashadaar/saved/8dbpK8

Solution
Only compatible drives will show up in the boot tab, if the bios is set to legacy then only legacy boot disks will show, if it is set to uefi then only those will show.
Pressing F12 (or whatever your mobo has as boot menu) when it prompts you might show you all options.
The mobo could also take this long because it gives the drives more time to be detected if they don't show up immediately.
So, just got a new motherboard/CPU combo and having trouble. Takes about 5 minutes from POST to BIOS, no idea why. Nothing shows on monitor until BIOS appears. When it finally does appear, I cannot select any storage devices even though everything is listed in storage devices(nothing is listed in boot priorities). If I exit BIOS, it resets and I get another 5 minute wait until BIOS with the same problem.

There was a disturbing amount of damage on the motherboard packaging when I received it(not the shipping box but the actual motherboard box) but the only visible damage I could find was the backplate had bent slightly outward(not enough to hinder using ports).

Called ASUS and they had me try unplugging all but one SSD. No change. The guy I talked to seemed to think some damage may be the problem. Just figured I’d post here first in case someone has another idea.
Specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mashadaar/saved/8dbpK8
I suspect damaged MB, backplate is one of stronger parts and if that is bent MB may be too.

Reactions: Mashadaar
Only compatible drives will show up in the boot tab, if the bios is set to legacy then only legacy boot disks will show, if it is set to uefi then only those will show.
Pressing F12 (or whatever your mobo has as boot menu) when it prompts you might show you all options.
The mobo could also take this long because it gives the drives more time to be detected if they don't show up immediately.

Reactions: Mashadaar
Solution
Mar 27, 2022

Good news. I followed your advice and sure enough, when I turned boot to legacy, I was able to boot windows from usb stick. After that I was able to use the included disc from ASUS to update my BIOS and download drivers for everything. Boots right up now, 10 seconds. THANK YOU!

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems but they are pretty minor, comparatively. My case fans no longer run at all unless plugged directly into the CHA_FAN headers on the motherboard(which honestly is fine, it's a minor annoyance, but it would be nice to utilize my case buttons for my fans) Oddly, the fans are also not registering in any of the monitoring software included with the motherboard, even though they run fine. LEDs in the fans are very weak and the LED on my waterblock flickers occasionally but is mostly off. shrugs I can live with that but would be happy to hear suggestions if anyone has them. Other than that, I consider this solved.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll go ahead and document it here because I had a really difficult time figuring it out: My Samsung 860 EVO SSD was registering on all my software but wasn't accessible, no matter what I did. Eventually I found the diskmgmt.msc (launch via Windows key + R) where I was able to initialize the drive (it gave the option to "activate partition" I believe when I right-clicked it).

Last edited: