BIOS does not recognize the HDD but does recognize the SSD

Dypiosa

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

I just build myself a new pc using the ASUS Z170-a. The system booted succesfully and I arrived at the BIOS. All of the hardware parts were recognized by the BIOS except the harddrive. On the SATA port on the motherboard there was a sticker with OS SATA so i placed my SSD sata cable in that port and my harddrive in the SATA port next to it. I succesfully installed windows 10 on the PC, but when i looked at the PC drives, only the SSD C: drive popped up, not the HDD drive. So i checked the Disk Management in the controlpanel and the HDD isn't there either.

What is the problem? I hooked up the SSD the exact same way as I did with the HDD. I just checked if the power / sata cables were attached properly, which they are. I have no clue.

Solution
Hey there, Dypiosa.

Does the drive spin up when you start the computer (can you hear it spin or do you feel it vibrate)?

I'd suggest that you try the drive with a different SATA port and with different cables, to see if the issue still persists. It would be even better if you could give it a try with a different computer, by connecting it internally via a standard SATA connection or externally via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station.
It is recognized either by yours or another computer, I'd suggest that you download its manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test it for errors, to see what's the situation with the HDD.

If you can't get any computer to detect it, it might be DOA so you should contact the HDD...
Hey there, Dypiosa.

Does the drive spin up when you start the computer (can you hear it spin or do you feel it vibrate)?

I'd suggest that you try the drive with a different SATA port and with different cables, to see if the issue still persists. It would be even better if you could give it a try with a different computer, by connecting it internally via a standard SATA connection or externally via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station.
It is recognized either by yours or another computer, I'd suggest that you download its manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test it for errors, to see what's the situation with the HDD.

If you can't get any computer to detect it, it might be DOA so you should contact the HDD manufacturer's customer support or the vendor you got it from and RMA it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution