Question Bios does not show my main HD

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I have 2 hd's, the main one has my Win 7 OS, the other is where i have been trying to install Win 10. In this process I see that when i try to set up my Win 10 set up via the M.C.T. I noticed that Win 7 hd is not shown, just the uefi usb drive and my 'empty' hd. The only way I do see my Win 7 when i open the Boot Tab and see all of them there. My Win 7 hd is shown at the bottom of the list, but it won't allow me to move it to the top of the list, I have to click on it it seems in order to boot it. I checked the connections of the hd and it looks solid. I even went as far as setting the Bios to default to no avail. Now this all worked just fine at one time, but not now. Would a system restore correct this?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TNY-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2603, 3/10/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.24545"
User Name tny-PC\tny
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.94 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.7 GB

Ralston18

Titan
M.C.T being Media Creation Tool - correct? (Just to confirm....)

And the requirement is a dual boot system with Window 7 on one physical drive and Windows 10 on a second physical drive.

This:

"My Win 7 hd is shown at the bottom of the list, but it won't allow me to move it to the top of the list, "

Why is that a requirement?

Windows 7 is obsolete and very much less supported overall.

I would not expect any positional (list) preferences being granted to Windows 7.

Unfortunately that likely means not being at the "top of the list".

BCDedit may be permit some manipulation of boot drive order.

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/editing-boot-options

Start there.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
M.C.T being Media Creation Tool - correct? (Just to confirm....)Yes

And the requirement is a dual boot system with Window 7 on one physical drive and Windows 10 on a second physical drive.NO, i do not have win 10

This:

"My Win 7 hd is shown at the bottom of the list, but it won't allow me to move it to the top of the list, "

Why is that a requirement?Its the only OS that i have , i am trying to install win 10 on the other shown hd and failing

Windows 7 is obsolete and very much less supported overall.

I would not expect any positional (list) preferences being granted to Windows 7.

Unfortunately that likely means not being at the "top of the list". By top of list it shows the usb drive, and both of my hd's, I was at one time actually being able to move one hd over the other in this list to show preference and save it for booting

BCDedit may be permit some manipulation of boot drive order.

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/editing-boot-options

Start there.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

" i am trying to install win 10 on the other shown hd and failing "

Do a clean Windows 10 install on the other HD per the following link:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Once both drives are known to boot individually without other drives being present then the next step will be to establish the default order via BCDedit when both drives (Windows 7 and Windows 10) are present.

That all said, is there some reason for continuing with Windows 7? That OS is already quite problematic and will only get worse.

Plan on having "no more Windows 7".

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
s far as the link above provided, been there , done that many times and the installation always ends when windows tells u that its going to reboot in less than 9 seconds and nothing happens after that. One time it got as far as hearing, not seeing the Coltrana instruction voice of win 10.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
s far as the link above provided, been there , done that many times and the installation always ends when windows tells u that its going to reboot in less than 9 seconds and nothing happens after that. One time it got as far as hearing, not seeing the Coltrana instruction voice of win 10.
Since entering my last post above i've noticed a sudden no more responses. All i got was get rid of win 7...which i gladly would if i could get another OS ( Win 10 ) installed...until then i will keep Win 7