BIOS doesn't detect HDD - Please help

ThatIrishGamer

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Hey,i've just built my first PC and when it boots into BIOS it says no "Boot device detected" or something like that,I've plugged a sata cable into the hdd and one end into the Sata header on the motherboard.Have i connected it wrong?

Solution
For USB install on most motherboards you cant just select USB as first boot device.
Insert USB and power on pc and enter bios, then go to Hard Disk Group (might be labeled something slightly different). Then from that list select your usb drive as first hard disk, then make sure hard disk group is the first "boot device" in the boot list.
No boot device detected does not mean that it does not detect your hard drive, it means no drive has bootable data in it. You have to install windows first.
You will have to install windows or other operating system with a cd or usb drive.

You should be able to enter bios setup and see your list of hard drives, now if it does not list your hard drive in your device list then there is an actual issue.

ThatIrishGamer

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015

I got it working-ish,it wasn't plugged into the power supply :D But now instead of going into bios it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" I'm gonna install windows off of a usb btw

For USB install on most motherboards you cant just select USB as first boot device.
Insert USB and power on pc and enter bios, then go to Hard Disk Group (might be labeled something slightly different). Then from that list select your usb drive as first hard disk, then make sure hard disk group is the first "boot device" in the boot list.

Solution