BIOS doesn't recognize hard drives but recognizes optical drives

betasquad874

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I'm new to this forum, but I am posting because I have no idea how to fix this. I was performing an upgrade on my computer, swapping out my old i5 3570k, with a new mobo and an i5 4570k. I installed the new upgrades then went into the bios and it didn't recognize my old hard drive (WD Green 2TB) but my optical drive was recognized. I thought my drive was broken/corrupted so I purchased a WD Blue 2TB and it still didn't recognize it. I thought maybe there was an issue with the mobo so I purchased a new one (B85-E/CSM) and it still didn't recognize either of the drives. Finally I thought it could be the CPU so I used a i7 4770 from a friend who got it from an Alienware and that still didn't fix the problem on either mobo with either drive. No idea what to do from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi there betasquad874,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Are the drives even powering up?

I see that you've done some extensive troubleshooting. Yet, you can try something simple as just attaching the drives with different SATA and power cables. As your optical drive is working, then you can use those cables.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

betasquad874

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

Tried the SATA cables that came with all three of the MOBOs, plus a different SATA power cable. Confirmed oower was working as the cable my drive was plugged in with was powering my pump. The drives are powering up. I appreciate yours and any further suggestions. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS