Bios doesn't see my ssd, but Windows 10 does

Yujia_1

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi, I got my new sm951 today,
but it is very wired that my bios can't recognize the ssd.
Windows is able to initialize, format and do system migration.
My plan is to use this ssd as boot drive, but the problem here is I can't even find my ssd in bios when everything is ready.
I have set the mode to AHCI and this is an AHCI sm951
Laptop: Alienware 15R2.
Can't figure out the problem for a whole night, bios just refuse to recognize it.

Solution
Do you really have a problem? Since the Windows OS detects the SSD and apparently you've been able to initialize, partition, format the SSD and "do system migration", what's the problem?

You say you plan to use the SSD as a boot drive. Since you also have indicated that you were able to "do system migration" - presumably cloning the contents of the previously installed drive that contained an OS to the SSD apparently without a problem - what happened?

Were you able to boot to the SSD? And if so, has it functioned satisfactorily? Or is there a problem with the boot and/or the functioning of the drive?
Welcome to the community, @Yujia_1!

I'd recommend you check how the SSD will get recognized after a BIOS reset from the settings. You will need to re-configure the AHCI mode again, though, because the settings will get back to factory defaults. I'd also recommend you go to the laptop manufacturer's official website, find your model there and make sure you have manually installed the latest SATA/chipset drivers for your laptop's motherboard. You should probably also check the connections to the SSD and make sure it's properly mounted.

Hope it works. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Yujia_1

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Hi, I have tried reset and manually install upgrade my bios. But after installation the bios still can't read my ssd.
However the windows 10 still able to detect my ssd and use it as regular hard disk.
Very strange to me.
How can I reconfigure my AHCI mode?

Do you really have a problem? Since the Windows OS detects the SSD and apparently you've been able to initialize, partition, format the SSD and "do system migration", what's the problem?

You say you plan to use the SSD as a boot drive. Since you also have indicated that you were able to "do system migration" - presumably cloning the contents of the previously installed drive that contained an OS to the SSD apparently without a problem - what happened?

Were you able to boot to the SSD? And if so, has it functioned satisfactorily? Or is there a problem with the boot and/or the functioning of the drive?

Solution

Yujia_1

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Hi, thank you interested in my problem , i will try to make it clear
Yes there is no problem with my OS detect SSD.
The problem is my elder hard disk is 1TB HDD, and the OS is on the HDD, I copy the file to my SSD successfully ( i mean this is the first step of system migration).
The problem is I want to set my SSD as boot drive.
But the bios can't detect the SSD.
So i can't do it through bios by adjusting the order of boot drive

Yujia_1

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

I just removed my HDD with SSD only connected, it reads No hard drive connect,no bootable system

Apparently something went amiss with the data migration (disk-cloning) operation. Assuming the HDD boots & functions without a problem, repeat the disk-cloning process.

Since the SSD is the Samsung product I assume you're using the Samsung Data Migration program to undertake the d-c operation. It's important that following the d-c operation you disconnect the HDD from the system and boot ONLY with the SSD connected. So let's see what happens.